What should I have in my car?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Girls need to keep "Go-Girl" handy in the car, no squatting in the long grass to take a leek! (or no squatting bare bum in the snow!!!)

:gig

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello folks,
this topic appears to be getting a variety of response, some of which appear to be very complete and I guess others are well, humorous...I guess. All of the suggestions are of course good in special situations but it is important to consider several other issues.

The first is, even if you have stuff, wil you be able to use it? do you know how to build a fire? (Did you see Castaway?) O and by the way, how much of what can you carry and walk through the woods or run from being an enemy in pursuit? (why are you doing this survival thing anyhow?) If it is just cold and dark, you can eliminate the fear of pursuit and the game is MUCH easier, particularly from a mental perspective.

Second, after 7 years as a Green Beret, you learn that the thing you want to come away with is a sense of self-confidence. If you are prepared both mentally, physically and with material, you are not afraid! To that end, I would recommend some books for your "bugout bag" that will help you even if you don't have all the stuff everyone suggests. the books will tell you stuff that you just couldn't possibly remember.

One of those books is "The SAS survival handbook". A truly excellent reference in every sense of the word. Fairly good reading, short topics and eliminates boredom when you are really stranded in a "situation". Way better than the US Army Survival manual.

Another book would be a photographic book on edible wild plants. There are so many to choose from and they can be found in many places. There are however, some tricks to wild plants so please read carefully.

In any survival situation...that is when you are REALLY out there either alone or responsible for the lives of others, there are definite PRIORITIES which should be adhered to in order of their precedence. Security,Shelter, Water, Food, etc.
If you aren't safe, what is the sense in building a shelter? Get the idea?

Don't carry water...or at least not too much. Carry the means to purify water. Finding it in the USA is not too difficult. Making what you find safe is another matter.

Be able to start a fire on a windy night in the rain. Then you can truly have confidence in your skills. The magnesium fire starter is a great little pocket tool that will save your hands from blisters trying to rub two sticks together.

Learn several ways to keep warm without using fire or sleeping bags or anything that is made for that purpose. What does a squirrel do to keep warm? Think like he does.

A great book on outdoor survival is written by a guy named Tom Brown. He has a book that deals with wilderness survival and urban survival. Many of you might like to think about both concepts, particularly if you find yourself "on the run".

Have a good, heavy duty hunting knife and a sharpening tool.
Have a flashlight, a Swiss Army knife and a leatherman type tool in your pocket at all times. They are amazingly handy and light enough to be inconspicuous. You can do a lot with them in the real tough situations.

Assume any situation may last several days. (could last longer) but mentally prepare for more than just a few hours. That way you won't be devastated when it lasts longer.

Your spirit is the most important tool of all. If it is strong and willing, you will survive as long as you are meant to do so. We all have a special day on which we were born and we all have another special day. We just don't know which one it will be.

Hope this helps.
Trim

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Actually I don't ever use either of those items. First I never lock my car or truck. Sounds odd but around here in the big city if someone wants IN your vehicle they will get in ... usually by busting out a window. Better they just open the door and find out I am poor and have weird taste in music. No one ever steals Highland Bagpipe Cd's! :lol: ;)

I also don't bother with de-icer. Around here when it ices (which is OFTEN :/) the ice is usually a 1/2 inch thick! You just get used to hacking at it.

I keep cracked corn in the vehicles in the winter. It provides great traction AND feeds the birds!

Fix-a-Flat is basically chemical inflater in a can. It IS flammable, but it will allow you to cripple along to a garage. Slime is far better and non toxic, but it must be used BEFORE it is needed.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Icu4dzs .. Personally MY "things in my car" is just a supply of stuff I need for every day life.

Of course SOME of it is good in an emergency as well! ;)

As far as survival skills are concerned I try to forage as much as possible all of the time. This keeps your edible plants list nice and fresh in your mind. I DID use a good field book while learning. Also by being self sufficient you learn a lot of skills that come in handy. Yes, I can change a tire. I also can do brake systems, tune ups and some electrical work to the truck.

I can definitely build a fire, maybe not with wet wood and a strong wind, but I CAN identify flint and start one with a steel. I am good at building a good fire because I heat primarily with wood each winter.

I totally agree about what you said "Your spirit is the most important tool of all. If it is strong and willing, you will survive as long as you are meant to do so. We all have a special day on which we were born and we all have another special day. We just don't know which one it will be." :clap

Being comfortable and able to "take care of yourself" IS totally a mental attitude. Whether you are facing a survival situation in the wilds or facing down a convicted criminal in a classroom (as I have had to do) it is the same, you can do just what you think you can. On my second "special day" I personally look forward to a better place and a bigger adventure! :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
A great book on outdoor survival is written by a guy named Tom Brown. He has a book that deals with wilderness survival and urban survival. Many of you might like to think about both concepts, particularly if you find yourself "on the run".

Your spirit is the most important tool of all. If it is strong and willing, you will survive as long as you are meant to do so. We all have a special day on which we were born and we all have another special day. We just don't know which one it will be.

Hope this helps.
Trim
I love Tom Brown. Isn't Tom Brown Jr? He wrote a number of books and I've read most of them.. He was trained by an old Inidan in the dastardly Pine Barrows of New Jersey... I was there once.. and ran for my life... for fear of death by mosquitos.

More than anything he stresses spirit and the determinination and craftiness to survive.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Things I have in my car that I have actually used:

water
toilet paper
money- cash and quarters
bucket or plastic bag for puking kids/dirty diapers, etc.
spare tire and knowledge of how to use it
jumper cables- see above
blanket
first aid kit- mostly for bandaids
food like granola bars that will last a very long time
pen or pencil
map
pain med like Tylenol or Advil

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bug out backpack for each family member. Fist aid kit. Extra gallon of gas. A bit of non perishable food. Matches. Flares.
Fix a flat for extreme emergencies when changing the tire is not going to work. Pocket heat paks. TP.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Something I don't recall seeing is a better jack than what comes w/the car! Not too long ago, I went past a guy trying to change a flat tire. In order to be out of traffic, he was off the road. It had rained, and all he had was the jack the car came with. He had managed to get the car jacked up, and gotten the lug nuts off, but then the jack slipped. And, he could not get it to work. The ground was just too soft. I stopped, pull out the jack I use for my horse trailer, and jacked up the car for him. I paid $25 for that jack, and wouldn't be w/out it!