What SS magazines do you read? Are they worth it?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
keljonma - thanks for the link, that was helpful. Which of the two beekeeping magazines do you like better? Which would you recommend for a beginner?

Anyone know of any good cheesemaking magazines, or old fashioned cooking/ preserving?

Or beginning carpentry/plumbing/remodeling magazines?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I like Bee Culture better, and it is geared for beeks of all experience levels, imo. I love that they are now offering a digital issue online.

I think The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum (editor of Bee Culture) is an excellent "How do I?" book for a beginner beek.

ETA:

Beeing: Life, Motherhood & 180,000 Honeybees by Rosanne Daryl Thomas is a fun read. She is an author (RD Thomas) who decided almost on a whim to start beekeeping. The book details the exploits, successes and mishaps of her journey into beekeeping. Not a how to book.

Two books by Sue Hubbell worth reading:

A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
A Country Year: Living the Questions

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
Anyone know of any good cheesemaking magazines, or old fashioned cooking/ preserving?

These are books, not magazines

The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley

Readers Digest: Back to Basics
Carla Emery's The Encyclopedia of Country Living

Sometimes you can find the Foxfire books at the library.

Time-Life has a series of older DIY books usually available at the library or thrift shops, or yard sales, or half-price book shops.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmer's Almanac. It has a lot of quirky information, but all very useful. I don't really consider this a magazine, but Borders does. I know this cuz I tried buying a copy using my 30 percent-off coupon for it and they refused since its considered a "periodical" :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Iceblink said:

These are books, not magazines

The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley

Readers Digest: Back to Basics
Carla Emery's The Encyclopedia of Country Living

Sometimes you can find the Foxfire books at the library.

Time-Life has a series of older DIY books usually available at the library or thrift shops, or yard sales, or half-price book shops.
You could check out

Home Handyman Magazine
http://www.homehandyman.co.za/

Or

Family Handyman
http://www.rd.com/family-handyman/

And, of course, This Old House Magazine
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Thanks Kel - I already have Carla Emory, Back to Basics, Hobby Farm, and the Foxfire books. I love Sue Hubbel, I have read both her books and enjoyed them very much. I also read Backyard Beekeeping over the summer.

Actually I have been reading tons of books, old and new about beekeeping as my senior project is about beekeeping in Greek and Roman times. It's amazing what and how they used bee products for!

I was just looking for more magazines as right now with school in, I have the attention span of a fruit fly, and magazine articles are the perfect length and are more up to date on subjects.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mother Earth News has some great articles this month on top bar hives and beekeeping with them. It has really given me great ideas.

It also has some great greenhouses built from recycled materials...all a bit more beautiful than mine will look but interesting all the same.

I'm thinking I might have to either renew my subscription or visit the library more often! :p