What to do now?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try to make this short and to the point(s).

When I joined this forum, I had asked about what I could do about the house I sort of inherited. My mother had cancer, passed away last fall, didn't leave a will and I wasn't working. Because of the economy, I'm way upside down on the home, not to mention all sorts of creditors are calling me. I'm also facing having the power and gas shut off, and am behind on water, each account in the thousdands.

In the last few days ALOT has changed. For starters, I found a job. I had placed an ad in craigslist for a mechanic to help me fix my truck so I could find work. When he came over to take a look at the truck we got to talking, he does the mechanic work as a side job, but for his main income he owns and opperates a car repossesion company. I started working for him today.

While waiting for him to pick me up to go do some repo's this morning, I had two ladies that represent a local group of churches come over and discuss the repossesion of the home that I'm going through. Thier advice is to show up at the coming court date with all the paperwork that my mother had recieved from the mortgage company. While the house is NOT in my name, they feel that I can still work something out with the mortgage co. The paper work they gave me shows that in my town alone (small suburb on the near west side of chicago) there's 3000 homes in reposession and another 2000 homes for sale. The market is DEAD.

What to do now. I'm getting ALOT of folks telling me that I can save the house. But I'm leary. I know it eventually has to go through probate, and as a lawyer told me, going through probate costs money. And I would still somehow need to satisfy all my mother's creditors some how if the building isn't sold.

With all the advice I'm getting, my head is spinning. I don't know what I should do. Should I fight for the house or not? Should I go to the court date or not? Should I just do as planned and move out...

Confused,

Jax

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It can't hurt to go to the hearing. I would go. Also if they do a repo it will take a while for that to all go through court. Make them evict you. Like don't move out until the Sheriff posts the note on the door.

In the mean time save up all your cash and get a storage unit. Put all the stuff you want to keep in there.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If your way upside down, then let it go. Do what Wifezilla suggested. Save your money and get the h e l l out of Dodge.
You need to get farther out of the city anyway, to begin your new self sufficient life, right?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I ditto the last two posts, don't throw good money after bad. You do not have to accept an inheritance that is mired in debt, wait until probate finishes and if after the creditors take their share then you can claim it. This will not cost you anything if it is not in contest with other heirs.

Do not pay any more bills, though not certain in your case but if you were to pay a small stipend to keep the utilities from being shut off while you still live there it could also obligate you to the full amount due. If not ask them if they will accept $10 a month to keep the power and water on.

This is true with any debt over the statue of limitations (SOL) creditors can not legally bind you to pay the debt after a certain period of time but if you were to send them even $5 then that reaffirms it and are now accountable for the entire past due amount. They are more commonly known as "zombie debt collectors".

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is rather embarassing to admit. They guy that was going to do the work on my truck and had offered me a job, was a conman. I lost all the money I paid him for parts for the truck and he conned me into accepting bad checks for various reasons, for which he wanted cash back. This guy read me like a book and knew I was desparate. I gobbled up his bs hook, line, sinker, bobber, boat and bait shop. As of Friday afternoon, I'd reported the con to my bank and then made out a police report. Between what I'd given him for parts on my truck and the checks, along with bank fees the SOB got me for nearly $600.

I'm absolutly sick over this. I should have known better. It wasn't like he promised me things that were too good to be true. But he was slick enough to entice me to do things I more then likely wouldn't have done under better circumstances.

As far as the house goes, I spoke to two lawyers...one for the probate, and the other about potentially filing for bankruptcy. Both agreed, and so did my uncle, that I should, as I've been planning, is to walk away from the house. It's not even worth going to the first court date on the 31st. The lawyer I had discussed the possiblity about filing for probate told me, if it's just going to court then, it would take until around january sometime before I have a sherrifs department giving me a 30 day notice to leave. I'd just as well be out of here before that though.

Now I really have to concentrate on the estate sale. I've got another couple of guys I know that are helping me with that now. I've been burned by this other con guy, so I'll be handling all the cash with the sale. These guys have no problem with that and are very understanding. Not withstanding, just in case I have a bad vib, some nieghbors of mine have agreed to pop in and out through out the sale.

Now I just have to hope that everything I'm selling, that I make enough to recover a bit from this con man, have enough money to fix truck, and still have enough left over so I can move.

Lesson learned here.... I get away from cities. Small towns, everyone knows everyone, bit difficult to get conned that way. But as Ronnie Reagan said, "Trust but verify."

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aw Jaxom, I just wanted to send you a hug :hugs

You have a lot on your plate, but if there is one thing that i have learned in the last few years it is that things happen for a reason.....hang in there and keep the faith!

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's sad to see how people try to take advantage of you when you're down.

When I was unemployed, I put my pickup for sale at $4000.
One guy came to look at it and despite the fact that I told him three times what I wanted for it, he showed up with $2000 in cash. I sent him away but I overheard him say to his buddy that he though I would take the money because being unemployed I would be desperate for cash.

I live in very rural VA, so please don't think that moving out of the city means you can trust all the people. When I first moved here, every greedy local flocked around trying to take advantage - either by trying to sell me stuff for way too much money for the area or trying to get me to part with things for way less than they were worth. I was lucky - two of my neighbors are good people who know everyone around and gave me good advice on who to trust and who to avoid.

I agree with walking away from the house. It's easier to recover when you start at zero then it is to have to claw up to zero and then go on. Best wishes to you - hope things go well.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks!!!! Here's hoping you'll do well on the estate sale. and shame on the s.o.b. that scammed you. They'll get their's some day!!! :somad

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that sucks :/

I agree with Meriruka, wherever there are people, some will be good, and some will be bad. I've lived in the country so far my entire life and that means nothing in regards to people.

The whole loving small town/country life persona that is often mentioned in songs or shown in movies, is just that - only in movies and or own fantasies and creations. But you never know, you might get lucky!

Now who wants to watch The Andy Griffith Show with me??

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I was hit by a slick change artist when I was just a teen. The guy only stole $20.00 from my register, but my boss took the money from my pay to penalize me. As a young married that 20 hurt to lose.

As the guy was cheating me I felt in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong, but no matter how carefully I tried to keep track he was still able to take the advantage. The worst thing about the whole experience was the totally violated way that I felt afterwards.

Just know these people actually PRACTICE cheating people. It is almost impossible to catch it while they are in the process. I am so glad you are reporting him to the police. There will be a special place in hell for those lousy people. :hugs