What to do with 200 granny smith apples

wannabefarmergirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
An apple truck dumped out its load of apples onto the highway and my husband was fortunate enough to get a case of granny smith apples. There is a ton of apples and all I can think of to do with them is to make apple pies. What else can I make with GS apples?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would make a lot of apple sauce to can, and dry a lot as well. (I just made an apple crisp this evening with dried apples; it was lovely)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apple butter. I never can make enough of it. DH will eat a ton of it and our friends and family love it.

My great aunt and uncle gave me a potato box of apples for christmas. I have to find my peeler. It's a mess in the back room right now. Mom already asked for at least one jar of butter.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A really good poop? LOL I love GS but would wind up freezing most of them 'cause I can't eat that many. Maybe if nothing else comes up before they start to turn, give them to a neighbor with horses?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Apple butter, apple sauce, or dehydrated apples. Wherever the pantry is lacking!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They are not great keeper apples but if you can find a cold [but above freezing] slightly moist storage location they might keep until spring ~90 days. They make great cider and in fact there is a commercial cider that brags that it is Granny Smith cider. ~gd

wannabefarmergirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I thought about cider but all the research I didnt use GS. Also can I make cider without a press? Any good GS cider recipes?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with apple sauce- if you dont want to can it you can freeze it. that is what we did this year. we were given all the apples we wanted from a coworker of my husbands. he has 14 apple trees. next year i WILL be prepared.