What to do with Frozen Tomatoes

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MIL gave me a whole bunch of fresh overripe tomatoes last year. She got them from somewhere. Anyway, I spent 2 days on them. Cut them up, taking the bad spots off. I don't peel mine either. Put as much as possible in a big heave stainless steel pan, start on med-high, once they get going...lower the heat to simmer. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 hours, untill cooked down. Then, I cooled it for a bit, and packed them in the freezer containers. They were great for adding to spaghetti or chili through the winter. I didn't add anything else to them either. No salt or seasonings. They froze just fine.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I always freeze some of my tomatos. Dip them in hot water for a quick second, stip off the peelings and pop them in the freezer whole. Want to taste an almost fresh tomato during the winter. Take them out, throw them in a bowl and cut them in wedges. Serve them slightly frozen. But to answer your question. Yes you can use them to make anything you want and then can them. I am another one of those people who will freeze produce I don't have time to can or because its to hot, and then can during the winter months.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have frozen till had enough for a good size batch...

One advantage to freezing is you can avoid blanching...as as they start to thaw you can pop them out of there skins...

StarWish624

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I container-grow mine. I cook them until they are carmelized, then freeze. I add them to homemade meatloafs and meatballs

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
StarWish624 said:
I container-grow mine. I cook them until they are carmelized, then freeze. I add them to homemade meatloafs and meatballs
StarWish, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be snarky, but I know I am, and I apologize. It isn't your fault, but this is something that has bugged me for ages, and you are - so to speak - the straw that broke ORChick's back.

The word is CARAMELize. Not CARMELize. I grew up in a town called Carmel, so this really bugs me - the word has a totally different meaning for me than for many, and "burnt sugar" isn't part of that meaning.

Please forgive me for jumping on this .... and :welcome

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I freeze mine since summer gets extremely hectic and I run out of time for canning. I use them in soup and chili all winter.

Latest posts