what to do with my quilt top? Update: done! pics pg 2

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have finished the squares, 60 of them, and finished they will be 9 inches square. It is very bright and I don't know if I need to put in some black lattice strips to tone it down a bit. I have laid it out both ways and keep in mind that these are not quite half of the squares. I need your opinions, should I put them together like this:
460_p4140164.jpg

Or should I put lattice strips in between the squares like this:
460_p4140163.jpg

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nice looking! :) I don't think it's too bright but if you wanted to tone it down a little what about *white* (or off-white) strips in between, rather than black which kind of accentuates the contrast.

Have fun,

Pat

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That looks great!!!!

After studying it for a while, my favorite is with the black latice. But I really think that either way would be very pretty.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love the black. Either way would work but the black just seems to make everything pop for me.

Do what makes you happy.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Oh! I love it with the black! How are you going to finish it off? Long arm sewing it with some metallic thread would be awesome!!

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Black would make the colors pop out.

White will mute the colors down.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why have those lovely, beautiful, viabrant colors just to wash them out? Use the black latice and make a pastel quilt if you want lighter colors.

If you don't want it, you can always sell it for a nice price.

Of course it's NOMB. I'm just drooling over your quilt is all.

OR YOU COULD DONATE IT TO THE NEEDY!!!

(Have I mentioned I'm needy? Ahem)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I agree with patandchickens and Ewesheep.... it depends on what look you want.

A black background will allow each color block to stand out. A white background will tone down the color blocks. I think the black with the color blocks would be beautiful and a very striking quilt.

When I can't decide, I pin blocks to a background and let it sit for a week in the room where the quilt will be used (or hung) the most. Then the second (and sometimes third) week, I pin the blocks to the other colors I am thinking of using. This method usually helps me decide which background is best for the particular blocks I am working.

Good luck and don't forget to post a pic when it is completed!

ETA: If you're making the quilt for someone and it isn't a surprise, you can ask their opinion.