what to do with small, mesh bags (e.g. from onions)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Like the ones from 1- or 3-lb bags of onions, you know?

I know I periodically find myself wishing I had saved a few of these. Now I have saved a few of these and I cannot for the life of me recall what I thought I was going to DO with them :p They're too flimsy to use as scrubbies.

Thoughts?

Pat

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was pulling a mandarin out of a bag and brain went "hey you could make some of these with mesh bags" earlier.

I don't think you'd need actual dowels to keep the top spread. Nice small branches could be salvaged from pruning. That spread is very important for easy access in and out of the bag.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put treats such as a head of cabbage in them and then hang them in the center of my chicken run. It is fun to watch the chickens peck at it as it swings and it keeps them entertainted for a bit. I also use them to store onions and garlic and that kind of thing from my garden.

I have not thought of storing my flower bulbs in them. Now I will have my friends and family save them for me so I will more.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
This is funny Pat, because I have a bunch too. I saved them in case I needed to store garlic bulbs or onions from the garden. Well, I haven't used one yet, but I hope to some day. :rolleyes:

candyd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use them to hang suet for the birds. They are great :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read in The Tightwad Gazette years ago that you could roll them up, secure w' a rubber band and use as a sponge/scrubber for dishes.