What to eat after big blood draw

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Had 7 vials drawn today. Hate liver and do not have any mixed into burger at the moment.
So what should I eat or drink extra of?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont know, but when you donate blood. They make you eat a cookie and drink orange juice.

So I think orange juice will help you out..

Then eat a steak for dinner.. I would imagine it would need to be as pink as you can stand it.. But I really dont know.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Sunny said:
I dont know, but when you donate blood. They make you eat a cookie and drink orange juice.

So I think orange juice will help you out..

Then eat a steak for dinner.. I would imagine it would need to be as pink as you can stand it.. But I really dont know.
Mmmm, I will have DH make his blackened Cajun steaks tonight.
I did eat an orange on the way home. and then tater cakes and a pile of home grown eggs and cheese when I got home.
Cookies are out. No sugar or gluten for me.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In all honesty, 7 vials is not a big deal. Have a handful of raisins if you are that concerned about it. Your body will regenerate that small amount in no time. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
In all honesty, 7 vials is not a big deal. Have a handful of raisins if you are that concerned about it. Your body will regenerate that small amount in no time. :)
Maybe not, but I have never had more then one drawn at a time before. With my adrenal fatigue I am feeling like I need to be cautious :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I would think H20 would be an excellent choice, plenty of it. I think a well rounded meal with it would be the best choice, all the food groups and something packed with vitamins and natural goodness.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Unsweetened black cherry juice. I forgot the specific reason why, but it is what popped into my head. So I know it is the right thing. :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i usually have a bananna after big draws (my 6 monthly is almost 20 vials sometimes lol)

but im also mildly addicted to banannas lol

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Had 7 vials drawn today. Hate liver and do not have any mixed into burger at the moment.
So what should I eat or drink extra of?
My dear BB,
You have nothing to worry about. Each of those little vials holds about 1 tsp. So you had the equivalent of about one ounce of your precious life's blood. You will make that normally within a week or so and should not have to worry about that loss. Your "monthly" causes more loss than that blood draw.

Just for comparison, when you donate blood you give 500 cc and what you are describing is about 30 cc.

Hope this helps.
//BT//
Trim sends

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fluids are your best bet. Cells make up a rather small amount of the total percentage of "blood" component, and fluids are the best way to make yourself not only feel better but also help your body bounce back a bit. Water is plenty fine, juice will have the added boost of giving your glucose a little bump. If you feel you need to eat something, a protein would be good...any protein, even peanut butter. For the fact that it sticks with you longer than a fast carb would.

Latest posts