What to make with leftover Pot Roast?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I need some ideas! I made my first ever pot roast last night and it was delish! Just feel apart and had a wonderful gravy.

I am either thinking Pot Pie (just add some parboiled diced pots and carrots) or a version of shepards pie since I have left over mashed taters...kinda thought I'd add some cheddar to them and layer over the top of the meat mixture till golden.

Any other clever ideas?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its not clever :D but my kids like me to make a white gravy with the leftover beef and put it over toast or even noodles or rice. I do not know what the real name of this recipe is maybe something close to creamed beef or close to a recipe for chipped beef? I just make it the way my Mom taught me to make it :)

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You already have such mouth watering ideas! Mine would just pollute them! Try those first, then on to another!
Congratulations on a successful pot roast though! And they stretch into another meal so well!
I've made open faced sandwiches with the meat n gravy and vege pot pies with rest, delicious!
Have a great day!
Tina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear the pot roast turned out. I usually don't have much in the way of leftovers. The pot pie sounds great. How about those little hand held lunch pies. What are they called? Hummm??? I am getting hungry. :D

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Barbecue beef sandwiches. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just pull the meat apart into little shreds. Add your favorite bbq sauce (maybe some bell peppers & onions). Heat through. Serve on toasted buns or bread or whatever. I love bbq sandwiches.

Cassandra

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Soup!! Use all the leftover gravy and little flinders of meat and pieces of vegetables that fell apart too much to be easily fished out. Add stock or canned tomatoes, even some water if it's a very flavorful potroast liquid. Add whatever floats your boat -- I usually (and in an odd coincidence, this is precisely what we are having for dinner tonight here, with quesadillas on the side) add corn, barley, more onion and carrot, and spinach or other greens (don't add them all at once, obviously, use judgement as to cooking time). Cook til yummy.

The meat is good pulled (wiht some of the gravy added back) for sandwiches or burritos or enchiladas. Especially if it was pork potroast!

Have fun,

Pat, who should probably start her own pot-roast soup in a half hour or so.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we love hot roast beef open faced sandwiches with gravy. Ive added it to chilli or just froze it for a quick meal next time.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, one more idea since it wasnt here. I like to shred the beef, add onions, and partially cooked cubed potatoes and fry in skilletwith your choice of seasonings. Little bit of ketchup if you want and presto HASH! My mother sometimes throws two eggs in it also.

Tankshill, are you talking about pasties? For anyone out there not sure how to pronounce it, it is like....bat------pasties. Ok I tried. Not pasties like you glue on your breasts. LOL Anyway, if I can remember,

shred the beef
cut up onion
shred carrots
little cubes of potatoes
rutabaga (if you want)
bought pie crusts if you cannot make pie crust ( I know I cant)

fry in frypan.........season.......make your pie crusts........place one crust in the pie tin like for a regular pie.............fill right side of pie crust with 1 cup?? drained mix........fold the unfilled side of the pie crust over the filled side and crimp closed.........make two if you want, side by side......bake in oven till golden brown. Good hot but can be froze and reheated.

can be served with gravy or ketchup

the miners ate these, they are a meal in your hand.