What to make with leftover Pot Roast?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My family loves pasties, but prefers ground sirloin or a hamburger mixture. These are a tradition at our house I plan on passing my grandma's recipe to my kids! :love

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Soup!! Use all the leftover gravy and little flinders of meat and pieces of vegetables that fell apart too much to be easily fished out. Add stock or canned tomatoes, even some water if it's a very flavorful potroast liquid. Add whatever floats your boat -- I usually (and in an odd coincidence, this is precisely what we are having for dinner tonight here, with quesadillas on the side) add corn, barley, more onion and carrot, and spinach or other greens (don't add them all at once, obviously, use judgement as to cooking time). Cook til yummy.
Yum, that sounds delish! I love beef barley soup, I have only made my own once a long time ago...great idea :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: pasties, that was kinda funny. But yes that what I was thinking of. the pie dough not the glue on. :D

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what they are talking about! :lol:

Is it kinda like a hot pocket (tm) or something?

Cassandra

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Left over pot roast- hmmmm.......................Don't know, never had any left over- :D

My mom used to make pasties for my father- it was a real treat to him. So maybe there were left overs for that anyway.

My mom's pasties were like meat pie turnovers- a pastry crust with a sort of beef stewish filling. Mom told me that they were devised for men to take into the mines as a warm meal that didn't need a plate- don't know if that was true or not.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth and Cassandra,

The pronunciation thing is that it's a Pasty, rhymes with Nasty. But when you write Pasties, it looks the same as those things go-go dancers wear, even though you pronounce it PASS-teez.

It's not really like a hot pocket... more like a thick stew wrapped in dough, semi-circle shaped. The inside is usually like a solid mass of beefy potatoey goodness. It's a Cornish thing, from Cornwall England, that somehow made its way into the food culture of Northern Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. I think it was supposedly invented as food for miners, so they could take hearty stews with them to work.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Miss_thenorth and Cassandra,

The pronunciation thing is that it's a Pasty, rhymes with Nasty. But when you write Pasties, it looks the same as those things go-go dancers wear, even though you pronounce it PASS-teez.

It's not really like a hot pocket... more like a thick stew wrapped in dough, semi-circle shaped. The inside is usually like a solid mass of beefy potatoey goodness. It's a Cornish thing, from Cornwall England, that somehow made its way into the food culture of Northern Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. I think it was supposedly invented as food for miners, so they could take hearty stews with them to work.
thanks for that. I was thinking of pasties--like a pasty butt on a chicken :D

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill I knew you would enjoy that LOL.

The pasties I have had and seen arent really stewish unless I am misunderstanding something of your description. It is more like hash in a pastry. WHen you say stewish that makes me think more of a liquidy filling.
My husband hates the rutabaga that some people put in, it gives him bad heartburn.
ScottyG your descrition of the pronunciation was so much better than mine LOL, yeah definitely not a hot pocket.
A lot of places around here sell them as fund raisers. The best ones are our Northstar Baptist church pasties. MMMMMM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2503289, just one of the many explanations.

Everyone around here seems to have their own special recipe for them. If you have never had one, you should try one, they are very good.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This is my grandmother's recipe for Cornish Pasties....

Cornish Pasties

PASTRY:
4 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, chilled cut into 1/4 inch cubes (Grandma used lard or butter)
8-10 Tablespoons ice water
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

FILLING:
1 cup chopped small, rutabaga or turnip
2 cups finely diced lean beef, top round or skirt steak or flank
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
2 cups finely diced potatoes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F.
To make pastry, rub together flour and fat to make a coarse meal. Add 8 tablespoons ice water all at once. If dough crumbles, add more water. Refrigerate to rest one hour before rolling out.

Roll dough to a circle 1/4 inch thick and cut into 6 inch rounds. Re-roll any scraps and cut into additional circles.

To prepare filling, cut ingredients into very small pieces. It's important to have the potatoes and the meat cooked during the same time period since they will be cooking together, so cut to appropriately sized cubes to effect that end result.

Combine ingredients in a bowl to mix evenly. Put 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of a rolled out pastry.

Moisten pasty edges, fold in half, and crimp to seal. Place on a buttered baking sheet and brush lightly with egg wash. Make 2 slits in each pasty to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 400 F 15 minutes, reduce heat and continue at 350 F until golden.

Serve hot or cold.