What to plant

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aha! You & wife did such a good job! 2 yrs worth. That is fantastic. Yep, I'd go with "staples" too. Maaayyybbee a couple things I liked "fresh".

We all have issues with garden size when we just can't decide and want it ALL. :lol: My chickens love fresh tomatoes. Put out one plant for yours. :clap

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'll try some sunflowers this year. Mostly just for fun decor and I'll dry the heads for either chickens or wild birds. I've been looking at broomcorn varieties so I can use them for crafting.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They dont keep well and i dont like pickled beets. But i love them raw, fresh out of the garden.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you grow greens. Lettuce, kale, etc? Herbs? Cabbages?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you grow greens. Lettuce, kale, etc? Herbs? Cabbages?

Yeah did that last year. The greens were gone by summer. Im thinking more staples. Idk...i may do turnips just for the greens. We canned alot of them last year and they were good.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thats a good idea. And they like to be stored in a warm place like a shed in Texas heat. Do you think they would do well in a bte garden?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What growing zone are you in? You mention that stuff was gone by summer, or didn't last. Many crops are short length. The beauty of them is that you can grow and harvest a crop, and follow it with an other veggie, thus getting double the harvest on a single bed. If you plant cool weather crops just as soon as you can break through the frost, you will get a good harvest there, then can follow up with some warm season crops.

Perhaps find a squash variety that is more immune to borers and squash bugs?

If you're in a warm zone, how bout sweet potato?

If you like salsa, you might consider plants that would give you everything you need to make some nice salsa with a lot of kick (or just a little kick). Cilantro, tomatoes, Jalapenos or Habaneros. You've already got the garlic and onions. Home made salsa makes a wonderful gift, not to mention how it wakes up the morning eggs.

Got more space than the crops you intend to plant? How bout growing some green manure or chicken fodder crops.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah.... I just saw you are in Texas. How bout putting that in your profile? You could easily plant 2 and maybe 3 crops before the weather gets cold. Even here in Maine, just as soon as the frost is out of the ground, I put cold weather crops in, to be followed by warm weather crops, often doing 2, 3, or 4 sowings of lettuce and radish. My soil is not hospitable for carrots, but... I try every year. I might get a praiseworthy crop of carrots every 5 years or so.