What to plant

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It didn't go to seed? Any time I have swiss chard winter over, and it does so fairly regularly... it promptly goes to seed. I can harvest about a qt. of seed from a single plant.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know why, but we were still harvesting leaves after 3 years. I was rather surprised when I read that it's supposed to be a biannual

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you already have the seeds for things the chickens will eat, throw them out there. Those rascals eat every day and love fresh greens. Mine free range and they still jump on veggies! (and chicken feed as well :D) So I like to dump all I can to them to keep that feed bill down. By the way, mine love turnips and they can stay in ground until you pull & feed. You often have rabbits, give them some greens.

I'd say, look at what you eat and can grow. Plant as much of that as you can use. No tomatoes? That's the one thing most feel they can't go without. :rolleyes: For me, that is true.

Also, once your plants are pretty well established, the chickens will go in and eat bugs for you. Yeah, some veggies, too but not so much destruction except very young plants. Those are toast!

Limas? Melons? Pumpkins? Winter squash? Sunflowers (seeds)?

You've had good success in the past, some failures -- we all have that. It's a lot of work!! Maybe you need a break? Ask your wife what she thinks you need to plant. May be different from your idea. Plenty of beans? Remember those kids are growing and so will the grocery bills. :lol:

No im not burned out. I love the garden. Problem is we are out of the things we like and have shelves full of stuff thats not common staples. Im gonna shoot for 10 rows of corn and then succession plant black eyed peas. Thats should be enough to get us threw the year. Im gonna do ALOT OF POTATOES! I know they wont all keep but if we can a bunch for soups and whatnot they will go further.

No squash this year of anykind. I want to throughthe bugs off a bit. Last year they were really bad. I might do some melons, i got seeds and room in the orchard. We dont eat a whole lot of them but they make good chicken fodder.

And i think im gonna scramble and freeze a bunch of eggs this year too. It sucked going without eggs for 2 months!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aha! You & wife did such a good job! 2 yrs worth. That is fantastic. Yep, I'd go with "staples" too. Maaayyybbee a couple things I liked "fresh".

We all have issues with garden size when we just can't decide and want it ALL. :lol: My chickens love fresh tomatoes. Put out one plant for yours. :clap

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who knows? Last year i planned on doing just a cew things and ended up with more than i can count.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'll try some sunflowers this year. Mostly just for fun decor and I'll dry the heads for either chickens or wild birds. I've been looking at broomcorn varieties so I can use them for crafting.