Cynthiadoz12

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, as anything with fire..be careful where it is placed and how it is placed! Fireplaces..make sure you have a screen.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi @abigalerose
Google can be your friend.

Google....cheapest way to heat a small house...lots of information

Also, lots of info if you Google...cheapest way to cool a small house

And, finally....how expensive are 12 volt refrigerators....once again, a lot of info if you Google it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi is correct -- close up daytime & open night time -- I actually pull shades in daytime on side of house that gets the sun. Wide porches cover the others.

Lot depends on where you live to determine weather temps for both seasons actually. Also the layout of the area. I will assume that most of it is open since it is not large. Placement of heat in the center would be most efficient. Insulation values plus type of base you have (crawl space, slab, etc.) also plays a part. Safety is a concern for both, so installation of unit used, any flue needed, etc, is extremely important. Costs for both can be pricy. Always have a carbon monoxide detector installed!!

I have a fairly large 2 story. In winter I use a propane heater in the living room which keeps the entire downstairs nicely warm. I can keep the shades up on the S side to allow heat from sun coming into some large windows. In fact, during a lot of the day simply the pilot puts off enough to keep it in 60s. If I'm out that's fine. When in up the burn and it heats very well. 2 ceiling fans can be used on low to circulate...then off. My downstairs is more than double what you mention. The propane is less than the electric heat pump and I don't keep upstairs "heated".

Propane cost varies from area to area. I find that there are different levels of pricing within the co you use based on how much you use, frequency of fill and how it is paid. ASK questions at the dealer.....check more than one!!

Wood can be free to expensive -- as Sumi points out. But is a lot of work if you do your own splitting, etc. You will need to be able to saw, split, haul & store. Often this is a large factor for use because of physical ability as well as equipment.

Since you did not give any info as to self or available supplies you got a lot you may already know. LOL

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use wood heat. Modern wood stoves are super efficient. Our house is about 900 square feet. I use 1 to 1.5 cords of wood. Our climate is usually fairly mild.

We have a window AC for the bedroom if it gets to warm in summer so we can sleep. In a normal year, 80 is our summer high so AC isn't common here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with Bruce. If it's about cheap and sustainable, I'd go with really, really good insulation, strategic shade, capturing heat in the winter, etc. In a space that small, if well insulated, you can heat it quite cheaply with electric, particularly if it's one big, open area. You could even explore solar power for heating that size of space...not cheap initially, but more sustainable than depending on the grid.

Remember to have a ceiling fan on low that can direct the heat downward as it rises, pedestal fans that can circulate the heat into other rooms if needed and utilize fans for cooling the house as well.

We don't use AC here, though last year we finally broke down and got a small window unit for Mom's room as her room doesn't get good airflow. We only turned it on for a bit in August, though. Most of the summer is fans, lowering the shades before the sun hits that side of the house, keeping the windows closed from midmorning to evening, using fans to circulate air, etc.

Wood is cheapest for us but not sure how cheap it is were you reside. If you could give us some idea on the price of such things and utilities where you live, we could maybe give a more informed answer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Installation manual for our stove says clearance is 6 inches on the sides, 4 inches at the back, and 3 feet in front. It's too big for our house, really. Meant to heat 1200 sq ft. We should have gotten the smaller one.

Bruce

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I like Bee's suggestion about the rocket mass heater. I've not used one but I've seen designs where the heater doubles as seating so no "wasted" space. But remember, with any wood burning heat, you'll need a proper chimney. I recently looked into moving my 25 year old triple wall chimney from running inside the house to out the back. They said 25 years is about the expected life of the chimney and it was going to cost about $4K :th. The length of chimney pipe would be about 25ft. I can't even imagine what a brick chimney would cost! They are going to power vent it instead, $1,500.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you are going to put in a RMS, especially one with a large mass for heat distribution (like seating), make sure the foundation is able to handle that much extra weight....

I have planted some dwarf fruit trees along the south wall of our house. The south facing wall will give the trees a small bit of extra warmth in winter. In the summer, when they are in full leaf, they should cool the rooms on that side of the house a good 10 degrees...

Last edited: