What was your most self-sufficient meal?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have never understood the issue of not sharing receipes. My father made the world's best barbecue sauce when I was a kid- it was so good that neigbors would hang over the fence to just smell the smoke when he was cooking. But it was something he wouldn't share. By the time he was willing to share at age 81, he couldn't remember the receipe. I have come close but never got it right. So it's lost to the world.
Just because someone else can make the receipe or grow the plant, etc does not reduce the value to me- so if I can, I share.
Oh well- my father's receipe will probably reproduced by someone sometime- but I won't get to taste it again.:hit

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Breakfast yesterday....eggs from our chickens, bacon from 'our' pig, potatoes/hashbrowns from the garden, tomatoes from the garden, and short of the milk to drink and the oil for the potatoes, it was all 'ours'....does it count if the milk was in a glass bottle? lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pork chops (from our hogs), veggies from the garden, potatoes from the fields.

Breakfast is eggs from the chickens.

Meals I can say do always include most of my own hard work....with some store bought exceptions of course. :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Pork chops (from our hogs), veggies from the garden, potatoes from the fields.

Breakfast is eggs from the chickens.

Meals I can say do always include most of my own hard work....with some store bought exceptions of course. :)
I love a good pork chop dinner.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you aren't kidding ticks
pork chops are a number favorite in the house....being we process 1 hog per week, we eat alot of pork chops..LOL....I sell all but am sure to get my share!

I love anything on the grill and they are fab on the grill!! :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Homegrown meat is as different in taste as homegrown vegetables. That is when I started to raise my own- I went to dinner at someone's house who raises their own meat- I had never had any so good.
Now I have had to buy meat as I ran out a month or more ago, and YUCK.............

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Enjoy the Ride
you are so right about the taste difference.
Fresh ANYTHING is unreal versus store bought to me.

eggs---especially eggs. the fresh eggs are sooo much better that I can never not raise chickens..LOL..even at age 100 I will have at least 2-3 chickens for eggs..LOL

yes, it does stink when you run out. time to get yourself more beef to put up. my freezer is getting low also and we will have to do a cow soon.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you aren't kidding ticks
pork chops are a number favorite in the house....being we process 1 hog per week, we eat alot of pork chops..LOL....I sell all but am sure to get my share!

I love anything on the grill and they are fab on the grill!! :)
Do you eat applesauce with it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SURE DO!

Do you eat applesauce with it?

****pork chops and applesauce were a given growing up...yummy combo!!!!

Latest posts