What was your most self-sufficient meal?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I really wish I had the courage to mushroom- they are great in this area but I make too many mistakes in life to trust anything but a morel. Now a meal with wild mushrooms- that would be exciting.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I really wish I had the courage to mushroom- they are great in this area but I make too many mistakes in life to trust anything but a morel. Now a meal with wild mushrooms- that would be exciting.
Me too but I would not like to mess up.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My favorite: Roast Chicken (my own) baked potaoes (from the garden), sweet corn (from the garden) and ice cream( homemade but from purchased milk etc.) with raspberry sauce (canned by me)
We recently had this meal and it was sooooo goood!!:D

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We did antelope (we shot) chorizo, Potatoes (my garden) and my girls eggs. Awesome good.
Kim

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't see why not, I'm not a big venison fan but I find that most game meat does well being made into sausage of any kind. :)
kim

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
COgirl... care to share your chorizo recipe? :p

For our family, I consider our most self sufficient meal to be any and all that the kids prepare! That means, to me, that I've taught them to be self sufficient enough to feed the whole family. My 8yo son, w/ high functioning autism, LOVES to cook, but completing tasks is a chore for him. He can make some mean white chicken chili!!! His 6yo sister is a great assistant to him, and helps him w/ things that are hard for him.. and she enjoys helping him. He'll plan a meal out, and know that bread needs to be made around lunch time, for it to be ready by dinner.
The 12yo doesn't like to cook, but will help them w/ hot things, and w/ cutting things w/ a sharp knife. The 4 and 2yo help w/ cutting veggies, or making salads, and setting the table. The 2yo is great at following through and completing tasks... she'll stand at the counter for 45 minutes if she has to, to finish cutting up veggies or fruit or whatever.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
COgirl said:
I don't see why not, I'm not a big venison fan but I find that most game meat does well being made into sausage of any kind. :)
kim
Yep sausage and tenderloin. And backstraps.

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would love to share the recipe..........If I could get it from my neighbor :/ She brings me a baggie of seasoning and I add it to my ground meat. She will not divulge her secret, believe me I have tried for 4 years :he. I can pick out some of the flavors, garlic powder, cumin, salt, regular chili powder and I think some ground red chili from New Mexico, I know she uses the same brand as I do Fernandez Chilie Molido Puro HOT, and I really think I taste that in there. She brings me about 1/3 c and I use that in about 10 lbs meat, I have never been able to duplicate it, but I have tried
Kim
Also I don't add any fat to my antelope meat, just use olive oil when I cook it. I know most recipes call for the addition of fat for sausages.