What would you do?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have found a GQF 1266 incubator for $300. I have a person telling me every week to hatch as many eggs as I can and he will buy them all. He has bought from me twice, and brought someone else to buy from me twice in the last month. IF I could get this bator...I could probably pay for it in the next few months of hatches with or without supplying that guy. Hubs doesn't want to come off the money though at the moment, and I really can't blame him but but but...I can make it back in no time!!! Positive! Right now I have two foam bators that hold 42 eggs, this one will hold 288. Am I crazy for wanting it so badly? or would you totally get it too?(with spouse approval of course)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
If you can afford the investment I think you should. You seem to have a market. Could you eat any extras if the market dries up?
Might be able to sell the incubator later if that happens. I'd do it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
If you can afford the investment I think you should. You seem to have a market. Could you eat any extras if the market dries up?
Might be able to sell the incubator later if that happens. I'd do it.
Well for the first time in MONTHS we actually can afford it. Not only that, but the two small bators I have will bring $150 together because we have the turners too. And yeah, could sell this bator as well if I needed to later. If you only knew how often we eat chicken :lol:

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is he supplying the eggs, or are you?

Seems you might not have enough chickens to keep it going. :)

Also, make sure there isn't some catch with ongoing orders like that, the USDA being able to class you as selling wholesale, over a certain limit in stock, etc. They keep changing the rules. Check with the USDA, and your state department of agriculture.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
lwheelr said:

Also, make sure there isn't some catch with ongoing orders like that, the USDA being able to class you as selling wholesale, over a certain limit in stock, etc. They keep changing the rules. Check with the USDA, and your state department of agriculture.
I am supplying the eggs. I have no issue with becoming a business if that is what it leads to :cool: I'd rather like that :D This guy probably doesn't even know what USDA stands for though...he just wants chickens :lol: He has a heart condition and only eats homegrown and lean meats, so wants the chickens to eat and for layers. It'd dry up eventually when he gets some broodies, but for now, it'd be good for me.

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Like lwheelr said, be careful. I just read an article that talked about some folks getting a $90,000 fine for selling too many live rabbits. I think the limit was $500.00 a year or something like that. They also could be fined another $3,000,000 in penalties and other government B.S.
Big Brother is doing a lot more than just watching us!!!

If you do this, deal only in cash and DO NOT put anything on paper or on your computer. No invoices, no receipts....NO NOTHING!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
txhomegrown said:
. . . If you do this, deal only in cash and DO NOT put anything on paper or on your computer. No invoices, no receipts....NO NOTHING!
Wanna - this is very good advise. Our evil government is getting into our daily lives more and more every day.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
No worries, I read that article as well. The thing is I WANT a home based business. I'm not worried about Uncle Sam. On the one hand it is none of his business, but on the other...I live in this country, this country is broke, and if I owe taxes I should do the responsible thing and pay them. I know the govt. will likely NOT spend my tax dollars wisely(like in the past) but..I do love my country and my kids and don't want to leave them both broken on account of me wanting to save a buck :hu That's just how I see it. No, a few dollars won't make a huge difference, but it will make some. If everyone would be honest and pay taxes on such things the nation would do better. I disagree that those folks should pay such a huge fine, and I also disagree they didn't pay their taxes due the government, but we've made our own bed. Enough folks have skipped out on taxes that it makes it harder on the ones who have simply made a mistake in not paying theirs. That's just how I see it :hu I have never made enough to warrant having to pay taxes on it, but WHEN I do...taxes will be paid. I have had too much overhead in the past to reach that mark. We have folks overseas fighting for our freedoms right now and we ALL use those freedoms no matter that most ofus take them for granted..the very least I can do is pay my little tax dollars in and see to it we have money to support them if nothing else. That's all I have to say about that. It does irk the crap outta me that folks are unwilling to pay taxes and just want to slide by. We can blame our government for everything under the sun, but it doesn't ever change that some of it....is the people's fault. Off my soapbox now :hide

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
lwheelr said:

I am supplying the eggs. I have no issue with becoming a business if that is what it leads to :cool: I'd rather like that :D This guy probably doesn't even know what USDA stands for though...he just wants chickens :lol: He has a heart condition and only eats homegrown and lean meats, so wants the chickens to eat and for layers. It'd dry up eventually when he gets some broodies, but for now, it'd be good for me.
No to be too nosey, but how soon would your break-even point be if you did the cash outlay?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
lwheelr said:

No to be too nosey, but how soon would your break-even point be if you did the cash outlay?
within 6 weeks