What would you give up?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Yeah shoot. If I calculated standing room, it would be WAY less.
I know right, ours must be only about 800 sq. ft. of actual standing room, maybe less because in my room there is only a small square in the middle of the room that you can actually stand without smacking your head, and in my brothers room, which was the old master bedroom, tehre is a 20ft by 4 ft strip of floor that you can stand in, the rest is the slope of the roof, so getting around to the window involves some artful walking, same with our stairs to get upstairs... on the top landing, the roof is sloped so you have to bend sideways so you don't bang your head off the ceiling LOL.

Gotta love old houses.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
I haven't bothered to read EVERYTHING on this thread, but I read the first and last pages. So, it's funny that most of the things you guys are giving up, I don't have to begin with!!! I could not give up internet, cell phone, satellite TV, etc etc, since I don't have them.
I guess I would have to give up chicken feed. I suppose I could gather seeds and corn for them to eat. Also our dogs might need to eat the cheapo chow rather than the Kibbles n Bits. They get a lot of meat scraps from deer, squirrels, etc. We'd mostly have to cut back on gasoline usage, which we already try to do.
The only monthly bills we have are credit card (too bad I can't get rid of that one) and the phone. I have to have the phone for work.
We eat out about once a week, but it's rarely over $13. That's really our one luxury. We lived on about $9000 last year. This year MOH (man of the house) got a grant for his poetry, so we're very fortunate.
How did he get the grant? Was it a gov't one or local one? Dh has been trying to figure out how you can get grants for a long time now.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was a grant from the Iowa Arts Council. He got it to make a poetry DVD/book.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I looked into getting a farm grant once long ago.
the red tape on page 1 of what to do stopped me in my tracks. not worth it..HA HA...grants, ya gotta kinda know what you are doing --at least for me..HA HA

Latest posts