What would you give up?

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Karen,

I am glad I could help. Let me know how you like it. Yes the electric blanket drains you with all the heat coming from above.

Yes, Put Nicole in a blanket sleeper and with the electric mattress pad you won't have to worry about her getting cold.

Between Acakyard chickens, gardens and this site I have gained a wealth of knowledge. People helping people that is what is going to get us all theough the next however many lean years.

Susan

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea cackle I knew the elec. blanket isn't quite what I wanted, and knew if I held out something perfect would come my way...LOL...your heated mattress pad. You can tell I am not a big shopper cause I just didn't think they had something like this. Duh....LOL

I love dual controls. Tony likes colder and me a little warmer so should be perfect!

great info is learned on these boards! :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
... Okay, if our econonmy does take a horrible nosedive or crashes completely, what would you be willing to give up the easiest?...
Cell phones (in a heartbeat)
Satellite TV (only watch an hour or two a day)
Internet (I'd miss you "guys", but...)
the spare car (only liability insurance)
my full contact checkers league
animals
wife & kids
coffee

is there any thing else...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Homesteadmom said:
... Okay, if our econonmy does take a horrible nosedive or crashes completely, what would you be willing to give up the easiest?...
animals
wife & kids
coffee

has your wife seen this list? :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
k0xxx said:
Homesteadmom said:
animals
wife & kids
coffee

Of course not. I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but I am definitely not suicidal! :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH lost his job in August and took a huge paycut but thankfully has another job...so we started cutting back a while back so there is not to much left.
We would cut:
Either the Cell phones or land line
Fabric shopping...I make all of DD's clothes (I depend on blessings for stuff for the boys)
Can't cut our satelite internet because the boys need it for school...dial up is WAY to frustrating and incompatible with their school work. But, hopefully cable internet is coming and we will switch to that soon.
I am trying to can and freeze even more...so cutting back on the food bill.
With a baby on the way I have made my own homemade wipes and am going to try to make my own homemade diapers or get some cloth ones here and there...and I am hoping people give me gift cards when the baby comes.
I would cut out my once a week trip to town.
Boys piano and Tae Kwon Do...those are $88 a month.
Going to cull our own chickens next year rather than taking them to Sturgis' to be done. Hatch our own eggs rather than buying new chicks. Try to put extra garden produce in so we can give the chickens feed and cut back on some of their feed.

We already installed a timer on the hot water heater, no eating out, cut off satelite tv, made my own tissues, made laundry detergent....

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we did cloth diapers with 2 of our kids (not that long ago) and they were great. People think it is crazy to use them but you save a ton of money. just get a solid plastic garbage can with the flip up with the foot lid and throw them in there and when there is enough for a load just dump'em in and wash away. HUGE SAVINGS good luck and by the way they will potty train faster.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I sent you a pm.

I have 4 boys, tell me the sizes (via pm) that you usually look for, and I will see what I have that I can send up LOL I have a lady bringing me a bag of boys clothes here in the next couple of weeks, too, and am willing to share that.

We have too many boys clothes here! Everyone gives me boys clothes, but it seems like I can't find DD anything. When I was a kid, my mom said all kinds of girls clothes were passed down to me and she had a hard time finding handmedowns for my brothers.

I want to learn how to make clothes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
k0xxx said:
animals
wife & kids
coffee

Of course not. I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but I am definitely not suicidal! :D
I would venture to say, if she did see it, you may very well have to do without all these things whether you want to or not! :D

It would be Ramen noodles and living in a trailer park!!! :lol:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
firem3 said:
we did cloth diapers with 2 of our kids (not that long ago) and they were great. People think it is crazy to use them but you save a ton of money. just get a solid plastic garbage can with the flip up with the foot lid and throw them in there and when there is enough for a load just dump'em in and wash away. HUGE SAVINGS good luck and by the way they will potty train faster.
My goal is to get the fabric and make them myself. I have learned quite a bit of sewing in the last 8 months and I am thinking I could do it. The lady that is teaching me how to show said she would help me learn how to make them. So I am planning on ordering this:
http://diaperkit.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=36
to help me get started. I have been buying one Bum genius AIO at Target with every paycheck. I just need to buy some PUL fabric and then I can make them myself. This will be my first time using cloth diapers and cloth wipes....my wipes are already made and ready to go.
You can check out my blog if you would like to see the clothes I have made for my DD.
http://pamspride.blogspot.com/