What written material do you regard as necessary...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do you have how to's you think are vital in case of emergency?
Entertainment books?
Put together your own cookbooks?

Just curious.

I am working on a recipe book starting with a pemmican recipe I just found. I am going to concentrate on drying and other preservation methods.

I also have a copy of the constitution I think is pretty important

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My list is my Bible first.

Then our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

After that my cookbooks. Especially depression era cookbooks.

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good Question Wifezilla!
I wouldn't be with out my 1977 edition of "Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book" An Encyclopedia of Country Living. After all of these years of owning, it is still in the handy to reach spot and on page 410 she has a recipie for pemmican.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would rather part with cookbooks than with manuals on fixing things. I figure I can make something out of something, in the kitchen, but faced with a defunct well pump or the need to repair the roof or something like that, I just don't necessarily have enough experience to wing it successfully.

Pat

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
andehens said:
Good Question Wifezilla!
I wouldn't be with out my 1977 edition of "Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book" An Encyclopedia of Country Living. After all of these years of owning, it is still in the handy to reach spot and on page 410 she has a recipie for pemmican.
I have the same book. LOVE IT! Some of the stories in there are funny to read. Lots of great info. LIke tanning hides..on pg 470.
I also have my Family bible, and a few smaller easily carried ones.
I have 3 wonderfull books my FIL gave me, and made me vow to never let them go to anyone else.
Readers Digest _ Back to the basics-How to learn and enjoy Traditional American skills.(1981) This is a great truely "back to basics" book. From looking for "good land" To moveing water...building a home, planting...just everything!
Readers Digest_Complete do - it- yourself Manual.(1981) This one has all you need to know about Inside and outside your home maintenance. Electrical, plumbing,roofing, waterproofing,window/door replacement...just about everything.
Readers Digest_ Fix-it-yourself Manual(1981) How to repair,clean, and maintain everything in and around your home.
I also have an Alaskan Cookbook. LOVE IT! recipes for items found in the wild. Plant identification....lots of great info there.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting topic and thread.

For me it's the Bible first, hands down. Sadly, we have several judges who are already quoting European law in their decisions, decisions contrary to our Constitution.

I agree with the Back to Basics book. Others that might be helpful for a long-term situation:

Outdoorsman's Fix It Book
Build Your Own Earth Oven
Food Preservation Without Freezing or Canning
Your Country Kitchen (from making cheese, pickling meat, drying, canning, etc.)
Home-Made and at a fraction of the cost
Assorted gardening books
Make Your Own Groceries
The Formula Book: Make the Products You Use Every Day

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Modern Masonry
Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants
Raw; the Uncook Book by Charlie Trotter
Ohio Geology, for my entertainment.

I don't have the perfect book but I want one on small engine repair for tillers, chainsaws, snow blowers, chippers and mowers. Easy to understand with pictures.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In an emergency.....Well, I'd grab all my medical books, Putting Food By, my almanacs, herbal primers, Make-A-Mix, Stocking Up, the family cookbook and my family history book.