What written material do you regard as necessary...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I need to add another book to my list:

A Natural Year by Grace Firth
I've had this book since forever. She tells you the wild edibles month by month, how to cook everything, make wines out of anything and garden hints. Very down to earth and simple to understand. It's out of print, but if you can find it, it is priceless. It is probably the most valuable book I own.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Do you have how to's you think are vital in case of emergency?
Entertainment books?
Put together your own cookbooks?

Just curious.

I am working on a recipe book starting with a pemmican recipe I just found. I am going to concentrate on drying and other preservation methods.

I also have a copy of the constitution I think is pretty important
I don't have much "clutter" as I call books and papers. I can't stand junk around......in case of emergency? Hmm...I do have insurance papers and a list of all my "numbers thru this life" if I need them.

Other than that....not much.

Cookbook...none. I don't cook well. Never interested in it.

How to preserve etc. In case of big emergency most of my farmer friends and their moms will have all the info I might need.

Lucky I don't have to stockpile clutter if "case of" situations. I am not the type to worry about listing stuff. I forget to list when I decide to list...LOL

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definately my homeopathic reference books.

Then my herbal CD considering I still have electricity to run the computer.

I really need an edible herb manual. Any recommendations?

If the SHTF really big time I think I would like to have novels to read
but I don't see myself going out and purchasing them at this time. Maybe the library will still we up and running.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I really need an edible herb manual. Any recommendations?
That would really depend on where you live. You would need to be more specific. My particular references are only for eastern and northeastern America.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
High dessert, Idaho, mountains of Utah also.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Encyclopedia of Medicinal herbs
Encyclopedia Of Country Living
Printouts of medicinal/edible plants and minerals I have made and put into a binder.
I-Ching Book Of Changes
Guide to Chaote
couple of long novels

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jane Austen
Ian Mcewan
Elizabeth Bowen
Angus Thongs Series for kicks

All my books as previously mentioned

Especially Persuasion

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Also need to add a complete set of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a towel...

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I re-read these books every couple of years I couldn't live without them:
Lonesome Dove
A Prayer for Owen Meany
To Kill a Mockingbird
Franny and Zooey
Naked
Night (Nacht)
Merle's Door
(fantastic for dog lovers who are interested in the history of dogs as well as a good story!)
She's Come Undone
And ANY biography in the world!!
I have one Foxfire book which is in tatters, but I love it!

I adore cookbooks but I could let them go, I have most of them committed to memory now anyway.

I am going to purchase soon: Nourishing Traditions and some of Sally Fallon's other books.

The list goes on and on of books I want to purchase. :D