What Ya'll Baking for Holidays?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Horseradish Dip for potato chips

16 oz container sour cream
Half pint heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish (not the purple stuff)
Salt-dash

Sour cream into bowl.
Mix horseradish into sour cream.
Whip heavy cream into whipped cream.
Fold whipped cream carefully into sour cream mixture.
Taste for sweetness and add salt to just eliminate sweet.
Chill to blend flavors and serve with potato chips.

note~
Every Christmas Eve I trudge out to the garden and try to find the horseradish, dig, grate and make it fresh.
sylvie- one of my friends got one of those tall orange flags you put on the back of a kid's bike. She has a couple of them she got just for the garden. One is by her horseradish. :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
sylvie said:
Horseradish Dip for potato chips

16 oz container sour cream
Half pint heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish (not the purple stuff)
Salt-dash

Sour cream into bowl.
Mix horseradish into sour cream.
Whip heavy cream into whipped cream.
Fold whipped cream carefully into sour cream mixture.
Taste for sweetness and add salt to just eliminate sweet.
Chill to blend flavors and serve with potato chips.

note~
Every Christmas Eve I trudge out to the garden and try to find the horseradish, dig, grate and make it fresh.
sylvie- one of my friends got one of those tall orange flags you put on the back of a kid's bike. She has a couple of them she got just for the garden. One is by her horseradish. :D
Now that's a great idea!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Chocolate chip cookies, PB cookies, banana drop cookies, sugar cookies & gingerbread cookies. Banana bread, pies of course, fudge(variety), mints & glass candy. I believe that is all I do off the top of my head. I really need to get it started this week so it is done in time & not all at once. If I don't make the banana ones my brother throws a fit as they are his favorite.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nothing special for me. I am hosting one dinner--for dh's family and I prepare everything--No one brings anything. (And I don't mind--I like to cook), but since I do have to do everything, I keep it simple. I will do one dessert, probably apple pie, or apple crisp with ice cream for dessert. And I too will do a few H'or d'oevres. however, I do, on a weekly basis make several kinds of cookies, so they will be in the house if ppl want them.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I usually make several batches of cookies with my daughter. I had intended to start yesterday, but came down with a nasty cold. So I'm sitting here on the computer, waiting for the weather to warm up outside, to get outside chores done and then go back to bed with a nice hot cuppa tea.
I usually make sugar cookies, almond crescents, hersheys chocolate cookies, orange marmalade cookies and try one or two new ones. I give them as gifts as well as keep them for everyone to nibble on.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Holiday baking.........I haven't even begun! But, I do have the ingredients gathered. The plan is to start tomorrow. I will make a few different recipes. My Mom and I will bake in the morning and then it's to the post office to send a package of goodies to my nephew in the Navy. We sent him pierogi 2 weeks ago. It cost $35 to send that package overnight, but that's what he requested for Christmas and it was worth every penny.

I have a list of all our favorites and each year try to add one or two new recipes. I'll share later as I'm too tired to fetch the list. Sorry!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
prariegirl

pierogi

YUMM Yum Yum Yum YUMM

that was so nice to read that.....money well spent for him to get that yummy treat! COOL

my Aunt Betty Anne made the most delish homemade pierogi. wow...you brought back memories to me just saying "pierogi"---LOL

oh, have you started baking today!~!!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Pierogies!!! YUMMO!!!!

Ummm....I fixed Christmas balls the other day and they are gone!! My house would be like Morel's...if I fixed it now they would have it gone as fast as they could inhale it!! I don't usually make to many cookies and goodies...my mom usually does all that but she is on a diet so she did not do that this year....and I have to check my sugar four times a day so I am glad she is not making all of those yummy goodies! I will have to go all out for Easter!!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pierogi, so good, but so much work. I'm the only one in this large family that makes them from start to finish. My sister will help roll the dough and my Mom will cook them up as we go. And, they all eat them, and eat and eat until there gone.
But, no one will help carry on this family tradition on their own. I keep telling them that if something happens to me it will be the end of pierogi as they know them.
Well, in my DH's defense, he has learned to make them over the years helping me. It's difficult to make them by myself and I recruited him long ago.

Yesterday, we made fudge with walnuts, peanut butter cookies, brownies and Cinnamon Crackles. Also, made Puppy Chow. There was something else, but I can't remember. It's all packaged and will be on it's way to my nephew this morning. He's so cute. He called to ask how to make my Mom's famous Polish sausage and saurkraut. He's really missing home cooking, especially during the holidays.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The baking blitz has begun!

Our kitchen has been warm and toasty and smells like Christmas. I was beginning to wonder, but it looks like we'll have Christmas cookie trays to share afterall.

I've made Chocolate Crinkles, Almond Sugar cookies, Cinnamon Crackles (a new recipe that's a keeper), Oatmeal Raisin, Jam Dreams.

The baking continues..............

Latest posts