What you think?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to look at this house tomorrow, to buy outright for rental property. My wife just loves me when I tell her, yeah I just bought another house. 😂

But it's so hard for me to not buy old houses. They have so much charm and character.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seriously???? How much land with it? Be sure you do a thorough inspection for dry rot, other structural, electrical, and plumbing issues. Also.... check for easements, title search. I'm sure you know all those details!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's a good buy if you have the will to fix the stuff that needs repaired...a really good buy! Love old houses with original woodwork. With your skills and knowledge you should be able to make that place SHINE.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
read the description, that house is going to need a lot of work IMO. which is fine if you want to do that sort of thing.

also it isn't on a very big lot. so this is a city house.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lol, my eyes, I saw "Lucifer" as the address.
I owned a century home for a while 7 years. Bit off way more than I could handle. Restored one (!) window over three weekends (had the internal weight and pulley system in the window frame). Facing 9 other ones. Lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like it! $24K is a good deal. You know how to restore and repair, go for it!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just got back from looking and inspecting the house. I put 2500 down in earnest, while a title search is being done. 2500 is refundable if I decide it's a no go.

Yes the house is on Lucifer street and rumor has it, that it's haunted. Yeah whatever... I do believe in ghosts but only one, the Holy Ghost :)

It does have a full basement, rock and mortar foundation which is totally cool to me. It has a rock lined milk cooler in the basement (deep hole). It also has a cistern in the basement but of course that's no longer used because it's hooked up to city water.

The joists, sills and beams are heart wood old growth white oak and solid as a rock. The attic also solid as a rock with blown in cellious insulation. I didn't see any water damage in the attic or the ceilings on the second floor. It has a beautiful but narrow oak staircase going up to the second floor.

It has very old plumbing and wiring that I will need to bring up to date. It has one large clay lined working fireplace.

The kitchen needs a complete remodel. It sits on a very small lot in town, the neighborhood hood seemed to be ok. The back yard (small) is fenced, there is enough room for a good sided garden. There are 4 old furit trees out back (2 pear & 2 peach).

The furnace is newer forced air, natural gas along with newer central AC. The roof looks like it has about 10 years left before it will need to be replaced. The windows are single pane and will need to be replaced. The bathtub is one of those big old ball and claw tubs, it also has a pull chain brass piped throne. Both are really cool to me.

What can I say, haunter or not, I feel in love with the old girl. I haven't told my wife yet, it will be a surprise... I already know she'll love, it but hate where it's sitting. I just hope the title comes back clear or it's a no go.

I forgot to add... The house has already been tested for lead and meth and came back clean. I don't know about Illinois but in North Carolina if someone cooked meth in a house even once (easily detectable). The house has to be burned down and 4 foot deep of Earth has to has to be removed from under and around the house. The house and removed earth has to be incinerated at a state run incinerator. The hole then has to be filled with clean dirt. Talking about some big bucks! I don't know but I guess meth is some highly toxic crap.

Also forgot to add, The basement I believe is about 6 foot. I'm 5'11" tall and I had to duck while walking under and inspecting main beam and load bearing posts also white oak.

I tried to take pictures with my cell phone but the battery died on the first picture.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow I didn’t know that about meth. And people put that in their body? There is no cure for stupid.

The house sounds awesome. It’s going to be a labor of love. Ought to have a ghost hunter check it out. If it is not a friendly ghost you may not be able to keep renters in it. Our old house was haunted by the elderly couple that built it. Lovely old ghosts. LOL

Latest posts