what's a good POLE greenbean variety for FREEZING?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I know I should be asking this on TEG but am having account problems and can't log in there right now, but y'all probably have just as good answers to this one anyhow :)

Rodents camped out under my bush beans last year and ate much of my green bean crop and ALL of my lima beans, grrrr. This year I am going to try only doing pole beans. Runners, and some sort of normal greanbean.

But, I need something that freezes well, i.e. does not get overly floppy nor overly fibrous. I have had a few varieties of bean over the years that were TERRIBLE for freezing and would like to avoid that mistake, but have only ever grown Blue Lake (?) pole beans, I've always been more of a bush bean gal.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to love the Kentucky Blue pole beans. Those suckers could get pretty big and not get tough. You could pick them at almost any stage. We grew them in the Yakima Valley in WA state, and got good crops off them, over an extended period. I froze them and my husband didn't complain (he's picky about his veggies). :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No tips on bean plants, but i just wanted to remind you that you did not have a dog last year, and this year you do. You should see alot less varmints because of him. :)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pole beans are way cool anyway. They bear over a longer season, they bear way more for the space they take, and you usually get longer beans. I'll grow them over bush any time the choice is available - could not really do so here, it is so windy that it just ripped vines right off the supports.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm thinking I used Kentucky Wonder last 2 years. Those seeds produced vines that nearly took over the yard. We joked about not walking near them lest they eat you alive. They cook up well for frozen beans.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kentucky Blues are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake. They stay tender longer than Kentucky Wonder, but produce a larger bean than Blue Lake.

My mother grew Kentucky Wonder when I was a kid, so I do remember how fast those went tough. My mother kept telling me to grow them, but I refused. :)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I'll try the Ky. Blues this year - they sound great!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Medicine Bow, Wyoming has the most consistent high winds in the US, according to one report. Metal sheds have to be strapped down, trees grow crooked, and only certain kinds of shingles can be used here. There's no such thing as a "good hair day". Our snow drifts into Nebraska, and every bald man claims wind as the culprit. :)

But we have a solution - I'll be growing pole beans, fruit, and other no-go crops next season.

I'm moving to Texas! :)