what's a good POLE greenbean variety for FREEZING?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like a lot of things about Texas. Not crazy about the heat - but I need the heat to do what I need to do.

Silly of me, I know, but I just really want to be able to live, and Texas will allow me to do that in a sustainable way, Wyoming does not. I've loved being here, and love so many things about Wyoming. But I can't grow food economically here, and I can't buy what I need either. If I don't move, I'll die. No melodrama there, we are going because we have to.

Texas has laws that allow the things I need to be able to do, and it is more large family friendly than many states - which is a big deal for us.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I gardened almost ALL year long in TX lwheeler....however it got too hot for me in Aug and Sept. You are going to love it. Your garden will knock your socks off!

One good fruit tree that I loved but everyone else hated was called a "loquat" (sp?) tree. They can thrive anywhere (in S. TX) and have nice orange colored plum-like fruits with very pretty (and large) seeds inside. The seeds are pretty enough to make jewlery out of.

Oh and the okra grows an inch a day! (Not kidding!)

Depending on where in TX you live you can even have citrus fruit trees.

Oh and pecans! MMmmmm!

Kentucky blue pole beans sound great!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gotta have water for fruit trees. The property we are going to be on temporarily has limited water supplies. So we'll do a garden this year, maybe one field crop (if the property owners feel it is worth the work), and the rest will have to wait until we get our own place.

We'll be north of San Antonio temporarily, in the Hill Country. We'll be looking further north and east, I think, not sure how far.

The oddest thing is having to look at varieties of things that grow in the heat. I've looked for cold crops for so long.

So I'll even have to go back to the descriptions on my favorite Kentucky Blue beans, and see if I can even grow them there!

cadams

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I live north of the metromess D/FW and love it. Lots to offer plenty of water and room.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Kentucky Blues are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake. They stay tender longer than Kentucky Wonder, but produce a larger bean than Blue Lake.
That's what I bought to grow this year - sounds like I made a good choice! :D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you're feeling adventurous the Italian purple pole beans are wondrous. They have a fantastic flavor, they're pretty and they're tender even after freezing. Not particularly good for canning as they mush up but frozen? Oh yeah.