Whats for dinner?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need some inspiration, I am in the :idunno stage today. So please share your menu favorites.
Nancy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorites, Crack Slaw with ground bison. I bought a cabbage @ summer in the country fest this morning. Easy one pot wonder for me to cook in my one and only cast iron skillet and lid (that's my skillet only).

IMG_20180609_182419947.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Texas Hash.

1 pound hamburger, browned
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, cut in pieces
Saute together
Add 2 cups chopped tomatoes, or pint jar of home canned
1/4 cup rice, uncooked
1/4 teasp black pepper
1 tblsp chili powder
1 tblsp garlic

bake in covered dish ( I use iron skillet with lid) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes.

Carrot/broccoli salad
Sweet potatoes in honey/butter sauce
Fried Okra
Iced Tea

Followed by Lemon Chess Pie

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:drool that sounds soooooo good!! I did a one pot thing the other day that turned out really well. 2 pounds of ground deer, fried it, added spice, milk, and a cup of cheese. Baked onion topped potato slices in the oven, and poured the meat and cheese over the top when the potatoes got done, for a kind of low sodium dish it was REALLY good!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Leftovers tonight--we've got spaghetti and meat balls, beef samosas, perogies and Ukrainian sausage, and a bit of coleslaw. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I broiled our in the oven last night and they turned out to be some of the best we've had in a while :D DH always grills them. He won't hardly let me at the grill when steaks are on, not that I don't do it right, he just likes to grill them the way his daddy showed him, and he enjoys it :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I make a similar dinner, only I use sausage instead of ground beef-- andouille is especially nice.

Last night, I made Tourtiere (a canadian pork pie), low carb style with mashed cauliflower instead of potato, and a crust of almond meal and egg. Delicious!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We're having grilled catfish, steak, and shrimp tonight. :) I dunno how it's gonna turn out, but it sounds good. :hu I picked some fresh green beans from the garden, and am making potato salad, and a yellow cake to go with. Almost all new recipes....hoping it turns out well ;)

One of our favorites is homemade pizza, and hotwings, with jalapeno poppers on the side.

Then there is the ever popular Shepherd's Pie. Or squash casserole, or spaghetti, or good old beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread, with maybe some fried okra too, or fried chicken.

Crap.....I'm hungry!! :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Baked Spaghetti

Quart of Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Pound of Spaghetti Noodles
Pound of Hamburger
Shredded Mozarella Cheese

1. Fry hamburger until done, drain grease off. While frying the burger, begin boiling the pasta.
2. Mix in spaghetti sauce in the hamburger, and warm.
3. Grease a baking dish (w/lid preferably), sprinkle cheese on bottom.
4. Add a layer of pasta, and then ladle warm meat sauce over pasta. Then lightly sprinkle cheese over the layer.
5. Repeat step 4 until out of room/ingredients.
6. Generously sprinkle cheese on the top of the last layer.
7. Bake at 350 until cheese is completely melted.

This is one of my favorite things to eat!! This makes A LOT! But the leftovers are better than the first round. So this will make excellent lunches tomorrow or supper tomorrow night. The cheese can be any shredded cheese, but mozarella is the best to use.

We like this better than actual spaghetti.....

Very tasty with a fresh garden salad and garlic bread...