What's for dinner?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like a delicious meal, CC! Nothing can take the place of a good steak.

Our supper tonight, I cut the meat off lamb chops, cubed and marinated it. I picked my first broccoli from the garden, along with green onions, radishes and beet greens. I made a stir fry with the lamb, broccoli and store bought onion. I sautéed the beet greens in butter to see if we liked them, and we did. It was a very good meal, except for the half onion, all home raised. I will cook beet greens again.

View attachment 13820

Desert was Amaretto Creme Brûlée made with fresh eggs. The egg whites made an Angel food cake, sent that and Creme Brûlée home with my daughter yesterday for her family.

View attachment 13821

Your killing me over here... I like lamb more than I do beef :drool.

I bet my BBQ grill, some cherry wood smoke and I, could set some lamb chops into the upper bounds of the totally delicious meter. Beside beet greens are absolutely delicious 😋

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have decided that, for our use, I don't want lamb chops. Just cut out the backstrap and section it in maybe 4-5" pieces. I'll cut it to suit myself. I don't like the sharp, little bones, they get in the way. I'm just an unsophisticated out n' out redneck, I don't need the high falutin' lamb chops. Cut the backstrap out and I'll deal with it better than some itsy bitsy gourmet lamb chops. :lol:

@CrealCritter maybe you should raise some sheep. Or at least buy some lambs and raise them to slaughter size.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have decided that, for our use, I don't want lamb chops. Just cut out the backstrap and section it in maybe 4-5" pieces. I'll cut it to suit myself. I don't like the sharp, little bones, they get in the way. I'm just an unsophisticated out n' out redneck, I don't need the high falutin' lamb chops. Cut the backstrap out and I'll deal with it better than some itsy bitsy gourmet lamb chops. :lol:

@CrealCritter maybe you should raise some sheep. Or at least buy some lambs and raise them to slaughter size.

Are you kidding me? Lamp chops is the only cut of meat I know, that has it's built in handle. Pick it up by the bone, eat the meat off the bone. No knife or fork required. Maybe I'm the redneck here...

BAAAAAH!!!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Lamp chops is the only cut of meat I know, that has it's built in handle. Pick it up by the bone, eat the meat off the bone. No knife or fork required. Maybe I'm the redneck here...

BAAAAAH!!!
You are missing out on some fine eating. Leg of lamb roast, ground meat-makes superb tacos, enchiladas, mixed half n half with ground beef-fabulous hamburgers on the pit! And don't forget to put your thumb print in the middle of the burger-it keeps them from drawing up. Lamb pot pie-now that's YUM! Leg of lamb sliced and tenderized for chicken fried steak-did I mention that I am TEXAN and MUST have chicken fried steak???? Lamb shank stew-the bones make a rich broth and there's just enough meat on the bones to make a satisfying stew. Stir fried lamb with vegetables.

Eating only the lamb chops? That's like only eating the rib eye off a beef and leaving the rest of the carcass for buzzards. Buy a young wether-HAIR breed, raise it to 10 months old and have it processed. Keep the offal to feed the dog, have the cuts made up and use the whole animal. You will be glad you did.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
baked beans for the past several days. home grown beans being the main ingredient.

in terms of bulk beans we've done a pretty good job the past few years of eating up a lot of my reserve supplies just in time for this crisis to come along. now i wish i'd just have bought a few large 20lb bags of pinto beans when we walked by them at the store. that store is a ways away now and in the thick of coronaville so ... we do have a good supply still on hand of other beans but i hope i can grow a lot more this season to fill up the dry bean stock.

today will be scrounge and munch day. tomorrow we'll make a batch of German potato salad and that will keep us going for several days. in the evenings we usually eat light a salad or even just snacks for dinner.

last week Mom made the toffee cracker crunch stuff. this stuff is addictive and goes down way too easy, the following recipe is pretty close to what we do:

for sugar and chocoholics it fits all the right cravings. as i've not had too many sugary things the past several months this is like a hyper drug injection boot to the head. it will probably be good when it is gone... the friends we gave some too sure liked it too... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was just thinking about those cracker/toffee bars the other day. YUM!

"do these snacks make my butt look big?!" "Yes!"

i've been skinny twice in my life but not recently and lost 10 lbs of the extra last year. need to get back on track and these sorts of snacks aren't going to help. the snacks are all gone now. *whew* i'm safe, but the next few weeks i should be watching calories again and let this gardening work help me burn off an extra few lbs that have snuck back on. 13 lbs is my goal for this summer/gardening season. about 2lbs a month is a good steady rate and i can do that. when it gets hot enough and i'm working hard enough it is not too bad to lose weight. if we didn't have the AC on it is much much easier but Mom has to have it when it gets too humid. i do ok with a small fan only and prefer it as then it is easier to acclimate to the heat of summer. the acclimation to the heat also makes your body get rid of the fat insulating layer. just have to do it carefully and drink plenty of water.