What's for dinner?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tuna and potato salad with capsicum, corn and herbs from the garden. Pretty good, but I think I need to get through the rest of that mayo quick smart, so I might make this again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last night we had leg of lamb, cut into round steak and tenderized. I seasoned it, floured it and fried it in hog lard. Garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, that was good! Tonight is leftover fried steak and potato patties. The dogs just got the leftover gravy.

55AE7EB3-A7CF-4FD1-9E70-5A6346B9824A.jpeg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
simple stuff the past few days. sloppy joes. i'm so happy to have something different than ham/pork/bacon. it seems we've been eating nothing but that for months even if i know different. we've had grilled ham and cheese, ham and bean soups, baked ham with mashed taters and mushroom gravy, split pea and ham soup, ... a few weeks ago i made a burger from some fresh ground chuck and as usual i ate it just as it was with a little garlic salt when i fried it and it was the whole meal. i like that about once a month or two. just something basic like that.

the other day Mom mentioned making ground pickle and bologna and i said can we wait a bit on that cuz i'm so tired of things related to pig i'd like some beef so she was planning on making sloppy joes next week so we bumped it to this week instead. *whew* avoided a major first world crisis there...

feeling ok, doing pretty much the usual here as much as i can when the weather cooperates.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My night to cook... my wife must be feeling sorry for me or something. She drove down to Lick Creek Beef and bought me a huge grass fed and finshed T-Bone, she had a small little filet. Local is so much better than store bought and grass fed and finshed is awesome.

I decided to smoke the steaks over cherry wood, then seer the outsides. And make it a garden dinner, with sweet corn from the deep freeze and baked potato from the root cellar. Best dinner I've had in quite a while, almost needed two plates.

IMG_20200424_184206190.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW -- CC That's looks really good and REALL BIG! That's 2 meals for me. Too tasty meals, I betcha!

Makes me think I'd like one of the filets from the freezer. I'd like sweet potato with that...lotsa butter! Need to inventory the freezer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW -- CC That's looks really good and REALL BIG! That's 2 meals for me. Too tasty meals, I betcha!

Makes me think I'd like one of the filets from the freezer. I'd like sweet potato with that...lotsa butter! Need to inventory the freezer.

Lol it was huge and cut 1 1/2" thick. But I eat the whole thing, minus the bone of course. I also eat the whole potato, skin and all. Plus went back for a second ear of sweet corn :)

Baby Bear enjoyed the bone also.

It was the best dinner, I've had in a long time. My wife said: Boy I'm going to have to work hard to top this one. It's her night to cook :) My BBQ grill and I set the bar high.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like a delicious meal, CC! Nothing can take the place of a good steak.

Our supper tonight, I cut the meat off lamb chops, cubed and marinated it. I picked my first broccoli from the garden, along with green onions, radishes and beet greens. I made a stir fry with the lamb, broccoli and store bought onion. I sautéed the beet greens in butter to see if we liked them, and we did. It was a very good meal, except for the half onion, all home raised. I will cook beet greens again.

49A11F12-71E1-44A7-A4B5-3FF60728AC03.jpeg

Desert was Amaretto Creme Brûlée made with fresh eggs. The egg whites made an Angel food cake, sent that and Creme Brûlée home with my daughter yesterday for her family.

A9C0C6D2-4561-43B1-A253-912520F80679.jpeg