What's for dinner?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20200819_165847213.jpg

From our Amish Friend a thank you gift for allowing them to pick pears last weekend. Seems odd I know... I kind of feel guilty because they sell it. But then again... it's considered rude, if you don't accept a gift offered by Amish folks. Plus they know, I'm all about lamb :) I'm sure I'll get over what ever guilt i may have, when I take.my first bite after they come off the BBQ grill.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sure the pears are worth more than that to them. They feel it is even-steven trade - so suck it up and enjoy your lamb. :lol:
(btw, I am so jealous of your lamb chops. I love lamb.)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't eat lamb (allergic), but I love goat when I can get it.

I found some interesting sausages for dinner tonite-- Aidell's beef with cotija cheese and poblano chilies. Those and some collards cooked with bacon is the menu. Plus I'm trying out a Keto Brownie Mix, made with monkfruit, for dessert.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I almost set out lamburger for supper tonight, but found a 5 pound bag of jumbo shrimp, so I set that out instead. I’m gonna peel and butterfly a bunch of em and fry em. Think I’ll bacon wrap some and refreeze for a quick meal. THAT’S a BIG chunk gone out of the freezer! Been trying to get big chunks out of the freezer lately. Pigs go to slaughter tomorrow, I’ll need the room!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm doing lots of freeze drying to get stuff out of the freezer. I also pulled out a bunch of freezer-burned meats at the bottom, Cooked and ground them up, freeze dried it, then powdered it- ended up with a gallon of powdered meat, suitable for dog food if mixed with veggies and brown rice.
I want stuff out of the freezer because I don't trust freezers that much. As I make room, I fill 2 liter jugs with water and stick in there to freeze. If my freezer goes belly up or power goes south, the frozen bottles will help keep stuff cold just a little longer, giving me more time to can it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm doing lots of freeze drying to get stuff out of the freezer. I also pulled out a bunch of freezer-burned meats at the bottom, Cooked and ground them up, freeze dried it, then powdered it- ended up with a gallon of powdered meat, suitable for dog food if mixed with veggies and brown rice.
I want stuff out of the freezer because I don't trust freezers that much. As I make room, I fill 2 liter jugs with water and stick in there to freeze. If my freezer goes belly up or power goes south, the frozen bottles will help keep stuff cold just a little longer, giving me more time to can it.

a good fridge/freezer should hold the cold for several days as long as you don't open it. the time the tornado came through and took the power lines out for three days everything in the freezer stayed frozen for the entire time - but i did make sure to not open it the whole time too. the more full the freezer is the better (i'm sure you know that, but some people don't think of it).

tonight for dinner i've had a few bites of melon from the garden (well worth growing these, flavor is excellent), some rice crispy treats, a few potato chips, some tomato juice, i think i'll get a few slices of ham out and have that with some cottage cheese. just to add to the variety. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had to put down our oldest hen this afternoon-- she was eating eggs, and destroying nests. Can chickens get dementia? Anyway, I cooked the chicken in the instant pot for 2 hours and that made it very tender. We had chicken salad atop purslane for dinner, and I have enough for another meal later. I've got the bones in the instant pot to make stock after I've skinned off the schmaltz