What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh boy. Flower, I just need you to know that even I eat better than that. Chex mix and soup, really? If the lady carrying twins is disappointed... :lol: :lol: :lol: (only kidding). Though I haven't been single since I was 16, so someone has always been around to feed me.

Tonight is chilli and cinnamon rolls!! I'm so excited! Dad is cooking today.

i actually do know how to cook more fancy stuff than that, but that was what i was up to doing that night. :)

i live with Mom who is also an excellent cook, but she's not much into spices and things that are different than her usual repertoir. i've been helping cook and can since i was pretty young and i've lived by myself for many years at a time too - i just like poking fun at myself from time to time. :)

chili and cinnamon rolls sound great to me. lucky you!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bear is greasy, though, so have to drain a lot off when browning the burger.
Never had bear. So is it gamey or...how would you describe flavor?

Hunting season as begun, beyond bow/arrow. You are awakened to early gunfire now. Probably will be a little uptake for hunting this year, considering grocery increases. 🤔 I tell ya what, turkey is abundant! Hope everyone gets their limit as we have a lot of deer everywhere around here!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't really describe meat flavors of things I grew up eating. Deer and elk taste normal to me. Same as beef with slight flavor one way or another to differentiate them. I was in my mid teens last time I had any bear so too long ago. Just the fattiness stuck with me.

It's like people asking me if silkies taste different from regular chicken. They taste the same as ameraucana cockerels. Nothing tastes like the store chicken that is mushy texture and too salty from the solution they soak it in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't really describe meat flavors of things I grew up eating. Deer and elk taste normal to me. Same as beef with slight flavor one way or another to differentiate them. I was in my mid teens last time I had any bear so too long ago. Just the fattiness stuck with me.

It's like people asking me if silkies taste different from regular chicken. They taste the same as ameraucana cockerels. Nothing tastes like the store chicken that is mushy texture and too salty from the solution they soak it in.

a few weeks ago we had some thigh meat that was stated to be minimally processed and it seemed ok, but there was such a huge amount of fat on it i doubt it was much different than any of the other commercial chicken that was being sold other than it not floating in water in the package. i made BBQ chicken with it and that turned out well. once or twice a year i may do it again.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom doesn't care if the chicken is white, black, or grey. Which is good. On the mixes I don't know until I pluck them sometimes. So she gets white and grey quite a bit. On grey skinned the meat looks more like duck or pheasant.

It's been a while since I had extra silkies so no black lately. There are 2 mostly silkie boys that are about ready. Silkies take a long time to mature so no extra hormones running through them. Should be plenty tender for me to fry them.