What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm saved by leftovers. There's enough chicken fajitas for supper. :whew: The mutton roast survives another day. I should feed it to the chickens already.

that's one way of dealing with it... :) with some cabbage, onions, basil and rosemary i'd be turning it into a lamb stew.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting. can you share a photo or recipe of what you're imagining?

i thought i just did! :) i rarely exactly measure anything and i've never touched a mutton neck roast in my life, but i've made lamb stew meat a bunch of times so what could go wrong? :)

i left out the garlic. oops...

how do you prep a mutton roast for cooking? put it in a pan and brown it on all sides and then give it some basil, rosemary, garlic and onions to start cook low and let it go until it starts to get tender. after that i add the carrots, potatoes, cabbage and steam them all in the roasting pan until they are done. a jar of canned tomatoes right at the end as i only want enough to color the broth but not to make it a mainly tomato dish. that's about as close to a recipe as i can get.

is mutton going to be too strong compared to lamb that this would be horrible? i'd guess if you ate mutton enough already you'd be used to it. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pressure cook it whole in my Instant Pot. Might sprinkle some seasoning on it, but I keep it pretty bland so I can use the meat in different flavor dishes, like stir fry and fajitas.

oh, ok, so you're familiar with the flavor of it. :)

so for the stew above you just use some of the meat with fried onions and garlic and the added spices of rosemary and basil and then steam up the vegetables and plop in the tomatos at the end...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are there any local growers near you? Local food stores? We have local hydroponic lettuce in grocery stores here.
I might be able to reach out to one farm/gardener and see if she has any but unlikely as she doesn't heat her greenhouse.

No local food in grocery stores here-in town we have a Wal-Mart and Dick's. I think the closest natural food store is 45-50 but not sure if they have local. I might have to try and get some started in a pot in a south window-but our drafty windows make it colder by them even with the sun.