What's for dinner?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Back in the day, we used to go to an awesome Jewish deli that had a great menu. Reubens were fantastic! Fresh cut meats, thinly cut, fresh kraut, lovely seeded rye. Stuffed so full. Grilled to perfection. :drool That's been over 50 yrs and it's closed now. Wow time flies! I'd love one right now. I still buy seeded rye! Maybe I'll stop and get some corned beef today. 🤔. Ya got me "wanting" now!

Thanks for the memories! :lol: :love

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we had shishkabobs yesterday, Mom wanted something different. surloin steaks cut up, large shrimp and chicken breasts chunked, onions and mushrooms, skewered with sticks, slathered with garlic butter and baked. for the steak ones it was best for 25 minutes at 400F, for the chicken we went 10 minutes longer to 35 minutes. since we hadn't done anything like this in a long time we had to learn the chewy way that 35 minutes was too long for the steak ones. the shrimp ones were much better at 20-25 minutes (since the shrimp were already cooked anyways).

one of my brother's joined us for lunch and commented that we should always have steak and that it was good for us. um, well, aside from the fact that neither of us really likes to eat a lot of meat all the time we also happen to like ground chuck for burgers much better than the steaks we've had. not that i don't like a good steak once in a while, but once in a while is the key there... :)

and as usual i found the chicken to be pretty blah and had to put some hot sauce on that or i'd gladly skip it. i don't mind grilled chicken that still has the skin and bones but just slabs of chicken breast has never impressed me and i have to dress it up with something else. normally when i have it it has been turned into sweet-and-sour chicken which is very good. :)

now those reubens!? yumm! :) on a good strong rye or pumpernickle bread and i tend to skip the thousand island dressing or other sauces because i really like saurkraut and the swiss cheese has enough flavor. sometimes a bit of mustard and honey will work instead for me. not too much. the other thing i like to do with corned beef slices is a grilled cheese. i just had breakfast but this is all making me hungry again already. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Enchiladas tonight with homemade rice pudding (which is in the oven)

Attachments

• 20220213_105410.jpg
    20220213_105410.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 70

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last night at DS's: Smoked stuffed pork loin, cheese dip, sausage balls, pigs in a blanket, broccoli/cauliflower rice casserole, baked potatoes and chocolate pie. Too much food and too few people! DS and DDIL will have plenty of food for their lunches this week.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm making a big pot of beans today so i can eat some fresh this week and also freeze several quarts. between the two of us we can eat a quart of beans a day. my body loves beans in all forms. :)

Latest posts