What's for dinner?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight I had a cold chicken breast & cole slaw...leftovers.

I'm a good cook and like to do it but, as I am alone here it is just a PITA to cook every night. Like to eat healthy. So I generally devote a rainy day or two to cooking BIG meals, then freezing in smaller portions that I can MW, etc. Often do big pots of soups, chilis, etc. for that purpose. That way, I can have great cooked meals, ready in short order. Makes it nice to eat a meal that only took a few minutes after a long day of work.

I'm certain most of you do the same -- maybe for different reasons. Takes a whole new look at "leftovers" because we often don't think to cook a good amount extra just to be able to have meals made up. I do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to cook BIG too. Maybe cooked too big this weekend...HUGE brisket. We've eaten two days on it and I need to skip a day now. Need to freeze some of it and pull it out again in a week or so.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were out running errands on Sunday and stopped at a small local smoked meat deli.

Got a salmon dip. Smoked salmon and cream cheese on a toasted, buttered hoagie roll. Came with fish au jus.

20171008_150315.jpg

So very good. I'm going to have to try that for myself at home next time I smoke a salmon.

It was made with the Pacific Northwest style hot smoked salmon, not the cold smoked type they have elsewhere.

You have to thoroughly cook our local salmon. They eat a local snail that harbors a parasite that will make you, and your animals, sick with what we call salmon fever. Usually you see it in dogs more often than people

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm certain most of you do the same -- maybe for different reasons. Takes a whole new look at "leftovers" because we often don't think to cook a good amount extra just to be able to have meals made up. I do.
When I had the freezer space I often made pies and soup in large quantities for this reason. To freeze and reheat on days I didn't have the will and energy to cook dinner. It saves time and electricity too ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter loves hot dogs. She eats them very rarely, but she loves them.

We had french toast and maple breakfast sausage.