What's for dinner?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One pot wonder. Potatoes on bottom, quartered cabbage in the middle, smoked sausages on top. Cover the taters with water to boil them and cover the dish to steam the cabbage and sausage. It's good stuffs.

Man that really does sound good. That's kind of the way I cook when things go as planned... which ain't that often. I'm not so much of a good cook I only know how to cook in a cast iron skillet. My mom never taught me because I'm a guy and my wife has only recently started letting me in the kitchen to cook. Ovens make me crazy... I can never figure out the timer thingy. Either not done or over done :( cooking reminds me of my high school physics classes. All those weights and measuring and mixing and heating. Cooking is an art all unto it's self...

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hamburger patties with BBQ sauce, fried volunteer cross bred squash(fat green things with yellow speckles) mustard greens and cornbread.

Mustard Greens? Oh My God! I love mustard greens just a little more than I do collard greens.

I have a sad story... 3 springs ago I had a beautiful crop of collard greens. Big huge leaves the biggest and best I ever grew. that is until a evening hail storm claimed every last one. I was going to pick them then next evening. i never even got to taste any of the first big tender leaves :(

My wife makes stuffed collard rolls same as a stuffed cabbage rolls but with collard leaves instead of cabbage - they are delicious the way she cooks them in the crock pot most of the day.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pork chops with applesauce I made today, stuffing and green beans. I never liked pork chops until we started raising our own pigs. Now they're one of my favorite meals!

That much better hu? I'm sure my little oinker will make some small chops... nothing like your carving up over there I'm sure.

Ever had deer ribs cooked over a open fire (BBQ)? The only animal I know that leaves that nice fat layer in the back of your throat. Every time we bag a deer and even before we hang it to skin it. The BBQ grill is lit - so once we cut the ribs off we cook them on the BBQ and stop for a bite to eat - so good.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chicken noodle soup. And pumpkin bread. I don't know, weird combination but they both happened today!

I actually don't really care for chicken too much but DH will be happy.