What's for dinner?

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If we had a Farmer Connie in our kitchen.........hmmmm
DSC00006.JPG

I would share my homegrown pork chop stash with you guy's! 1-1/4" thick Berkshire Heritage pork. I'll even bring the apple wood to smoke them on. I love to share!
DSC00009.JPG

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's something we take for granted. I wish we could raise another Cow. Highly unlikely. We are in the process of trying to acquire the 3 acres behind us. If that goes thru, raising more beef would be more feasible.
We invited a Rooster or two for dinner tonight. They reluctantly excepted the invitation.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol!!

I have a freezer full of homegrown pork but your pictures are so amazing I'm still jealous haha!

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL - silly rooster! Is it "mean" rooster soup? That's usually some really tasty soup!
Actually Young (6 months) Roos that nobody wants to buy. We breed year round. Run several incubators. Our hatch rates are fine but our Rooster/Pullet ratios are the only bump in the rug. Nobody hardly wants a male. We sell straight runs. Our customers return the males after 3 months or so just to get rid of them. We quarantine and inspect them. Then accumulate until we find a buyer. Last season, around October-ish, I'm guessing the month, we sold about 50 something to a farmer a few counties away for processing. He showed up with a semi truck and poultry trailer. That was interesting. Sold a couple groups of 30 or so as well. It got real quiet around here after they all were sold. We processed about a dozen of the biggest and best.
We have 3 ovens running right now. Parts for the 4th are in the mail. It's gonna get loud again real quick.
Chickens make you Breakfast, and Roosters make you Dinner.
bbb.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Roasted mutton shank for DH. Fauxtato Cream Soup for me! Oh.... I have to feed my children too? DS2 didn't like my soup. DS10 will devour it when he's done with his math. DS2 ate a very late lunch, he says he's not hungry, but....

Latest posts