What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I noticed we don't have a thread to show some of the neat things we make for meals. So post them on up here.

Here's todays for me. One of the local restaurant supply had packs of beef tri-tip on sale. There were 4 of them in the pack. Nice sized fat cap, which is usually removed amywhere else if you can find them.

Fat cap is a must for what I wanted to do. Put on a nice dry rub and smoked them all up today.

I pulled 3 of them off a hour before done. It's at 350° anyway and they can do that cooking in the oven later. I'll vacuum seal and freeze them.

The last one is just about done. Super tender and the smell is killing me.

20170828_151939.jpg

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh man does that look good. I made a pot of red beans and rice with sausage today. sorry no pic yet but it's tasty.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I love red beans and rice! Especially with some sweet cornbread. And @Hinotori - that looks fabulous!

We're having beef roast that was in the Dutch oven all afternoon with onions and red pepper (both from our garden) stewed tomatoes, oregano and basil (also fresh picked) and garlic, salt and pepper, served over long cooked rice with succotash.
The weather was fabulous here today so we were outside all day building another hen house. I love my cast iron Dutch oven! Not the best pics, sorry. We need more light in our kitchen.

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_195027.jpg
    IMG_20170828_195027.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20170828_194957.jpg
    IMG_20170828_194957.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 510

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Hinotori that pic is killing me! lol Gosh, it looks good and I agree with you on the fat, it's good to have that intact when needed.

No dinner pics from me, had a crazy busy afternoon and evening, so we had take-outs, but I am thinking of doing some pies tonight :) Been awhile since I baked some and I see the supermarket has marinaded pork ribs on special now… If you ever had a rib pie… Yum!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last night for dinner I had breakfast- 2 pancakes, 2 slices turkey bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese.
I don't know what's for dinner tonight. I just snacked on the following
1504040371804906140758.jpg
I don't know what's better Reese's Fast break candy bar or that. I love them both and both are my downfall.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Country homesteader Hershey's makes candy corn?? I love candy corn. :)
We often eat breakfast foods for supper. I'm up early and eat but M and K rarely eat breakfast. So it's no problem eating eggs or pancakes or biscuits and gravy for supper.
The mud bugs look awesome! I'd eat grits if they came with shrimp or crawdads!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a white chocolate candy bar that's flavored like candy corn plus it has pieces of candy corn in it. I found it at the dollar store.
My dinner tonight was 2 chicken sandwiches with wheat bread and a diet Pepsi.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yum! It's hard to beat blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and your own sausage!
@Country homesteader - THAT'S my kind of cooking! Especially after a long day outside! :)
It was our son's turn to cook supper which almost always means Alfredo over pasta (penne this time). It was really good. He added crab meat with some Cajun seasoning. Served with fresh tomato slices and corn on the cob. He did a good job, and the leftovers will make a casserole for tomorrow's supper.