What's for dinner?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH had Chicharonnes and I had a handful of cereal - dry. Yum! Too tired to cook - and almost too tired to eat. There's always tomorrow....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I demo sampled all day -- Brats & BBQ sauce -- ate some of that, so didn't even cook at home.

Country Homesteader -- I save a small squirt bottle of DW liquid and then add 1/3 DW liquid to 2/3 water. Works fine. We always use too much of that when we squirt it out. Of course, I use a dishwasher for most. But only run about 2X a week as I'm only one here.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I opened a can of home-canned sloppy joes and had it over steamed cauliflower. I was hurting in all my joints and the smoke from the forest fires was bad. I swear everyone in Oregon probably looks high because all our eyes are red

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today's meal is our first day that feels like fall tradition and it's that day...rainy, cool, and downright lovely feeling. Mom even lit a small fire in the wood stove to take the chill off the cabin so she could sit in there and read comfortably.

Each fall we get that day...that first day when you know fall is really on its way and then I make a good pot of chicken soup. Chicken we raised, so it's packed full of flavor and goodness, with broth and fat from the same. Usually I have homemade bread with that, but don't currently have any made...will make some this afternoon or tomorrow, so we'll still be supping from this pan when we get the fresh bread.

Our soup follows no set recipe and I find myself putting pretty much anything in there that sounds tasty...today it's my canned chicken and broth, a bit of rice, some of our homegrown red potatoes cut up small, onions we grew, garlic, sweet corn we canned here, celery, kielbasa, and various spices. I may or may not throw a hand of pasta of some kind in there, but not likely...got starches enough in there. If I had fresh grown carrots I'd have put some in there as well.

I really can't remember the last time I had to make chicken soup with commercially grown chicken, but I do remember that the flavor and texture pales in comparison to what we grow ourselves, so I'm thankful for every single bite of this good, good soup!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Meatballs (venison, beef, pork, oats, egg) with marinara (using 2016 dehydrated, 2016 canned crushed, and fresh tomatoes). Maybe I'll bake some "french bread" loaves for garlic bread since I'm thinking about supper already