What's for dinner?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Picked the first capsicum of the season this morning, and had it stuffed with potato, bacon, onion and cream cheese for dinner. Really impressed with it! Tastes like capsicum I remember as a child. Now the shop bought type are much sweeter and pumped full of fluid, it really dilutes the taste. This wasn't a huge capsicum but the taste was awesome! Really pleased with dinner tonight :D I sliced a bit for the buns, the boy bun was on to it, but the fat girl bun was more hesitant, but still ate it.

Also used some "25% less carbs" spuds, from the shop, I hadn't tried them before and I really like them, they boiled clean and seem much less glugy. Anyone else use these? How do they have less carbs? Just a different breed/strain?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Picked the first capsicum of the season this morning, and had it stuffed with potato, bacon, onion and cream cheese for dinner. Really impressed with it! Tastes like capsicum I remember as a child. Now the shop bought type are much sweeter and pumped full of fluid, it really dilutes the taste. This wasn't a huge capsicum but the taste was awesome! Really pleased with dinner tonight :D I sliced a bit for the buns, the boy bun was on to it, but the fat girl bun was more hesitant, but still ate it.

Also used some "25% less carbs" spuds, from the shop, I hadn't tried them before and I really like them, they boiled clean and seem much less glugy. Anyone else use these? How do they have less carbs? Just a different breed/strain?
I have seen those low carb taters advertised, have not had them yet. On my list to research

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH cooked Wednesday and he's cooking again tonight. I think I've created a monster, lol. Stuffed red bell peppers tonight. I hardly know what to do with myself while he's fiddling around in MY kitchen lol. But, I really am grateful - it's just weird!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH cooked Wednesday and he's cooking again tonight. I think I've created a monster, lol. Stuffed red bell peppers tonight. I hardly know what to do with myself while he's fiddling around in MY kitchen lol. But, I really am grateful - it's just weird!

we have found out that it is better for both of us not to be cooking at the same time. so what i do is help out when she is done or in between things like i can clean up and do some dishes or help her bag things up. and since most of what i would make for myself is too spicy for her there's no danger of her getting too involved in the cooking i do. most of the time i wait until she is gone visiting a friend and that saves us both the hassle and stress.

today Mom baked bread and we had onion soup and fresh baked bread with butter for lunch.

we've really missed her homemade bread and have tried some from the store and we just can't like them. the last loaf she bought was bitter, some additive or another ingredient. she just uses unbleached flour, water, salt, yeast and some cracked wheat and some butter in the pan. that's it. i'm getting ready to be her apprentice next time she makes it so i can learn. i have made plenty of bread before but i want to see exactly how she does it and i want to do it while she's watching. i don't want to watch her as i've done that enough already. it is my turn. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we have found out that it is better for both of us not to be cooking at the same time.
I am definitely staying out of his way! He asked me a couple of questions and then retreated back to the kitchen. He actually is a pretty fair cook - he just doesn't have a large repertoire.

Homemade bread sounds divine!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am definitely staying out of his way! He asked me a couple of questions and then retreated back to the kitchen. He actually is a pretty fair cook - he just doesn't have a large repertoire.

Homemade bread sounds divine!

as long as one of the questions wasn't "Honey, where's the fire extinguisher?" :)

if i am in the kitchen at the same time as Mom, especially when she's making cookies i can throw her off her routine. she has her system down. better that i just stay outta the way.

Latest posts