What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH wanted grilled cheese - fake "american" cheese on the cheapest crap white bread so thats what I made :idunno Dont argue about comfort food :gig

That's the only grilled cheese hubby will eat. I cant stand it.

I grew up with cheddar sliced thin off the block. American cheese was to expensive for us. Too expensive for the school district, too. They, too, used cheddar. Grilled cheese with tomato soup was on the menu a couple times a month 1st-12th as it was popular. Get a little cup of canned fruit for desert. Back when schools actually did cooking and served real food.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug if you lived nearby, you'd be getting some of my eggs! 🤣. One of my friends received 13 dz last month!

i used 12 eggs today making goodies. one of the things called for egg yolks only so i had the egg whites as an egg white scramble. i'm sorry for those who do that all the time, it's just not right...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's the only grilled cheese hubby will eat. I cant stand it.

I grew up with cheddar sliced thin off the block. American cheese was to expensive for us. Too expensive for the school district, too. They, too, used cheddar. Grilled cheese with tomato soup was on the menu a couple times a month 1st-12th as it was popular. Get a little cup of canned fruit for desert. Back when schools actually did cooking and served real food.

some of the schools are getting better. at least around here. farm to school programs are working out.

we like to use a slice of american processed cheese food and a slice of swiss cheese along with it. i like ham and cheese even more with plenty of yellow mustard. for some reason that all fits me just right. extra special would be with some fresh grown tomato on it too. those are later summer versions. :) i just had dinner, but i'm drooling now thinking of those. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love cheap (and soft) white bread. I remember a snack as a teenager was Hellmann's mayonnaise and colby longhorn on white bread, and sometimes a tomato.

I don't eat wheat anymore, and haven't eaten cheap soft white bread in years.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love cheap (and soft) white bread. I remember a snack as a teenager was Hellman's mayonnaise and colby longhorn on white bread, and sometimes a tomato.

I don't eat wheat anymore, and haven't eaten cheap soft white bread in years.

Mom made some homemade bread the other day for the first time in several months. it is certainly not white bread. while it is edible and i am enjoying it in small amounts i'm wondering if the flour has gone stale as it doesn't quite taste how it has usually been.

small ham and miracle whip sandwich tomorrow.

Latest posts