What's going on with my bread!?!?!?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Beekissed,I just bought one of those vacuum-packed bags for the first time. I haven't opened it yet. Do I use it the same as the little packets?
gettinaclue -

Instant or Rapid Rise Yeast does not require warm liquid to be activated. This type of yeast has been genetically engineered from different strains of yeast to produce breads. Rapid rise yeast is also more finely granulated than active dry yeast, so it does not need to be dissolved in water first. It can be added directly to the dry ingredients, making it a popular choice for use with bread machines.

To substitute instant or bread machine yeast for active dry yeast, use 25% less instant yeast than active dry.

To convert recipes calling for active dry yeast to instant yeast: for 1 tsp active dry yeast, use 3/4 tsp instant yeast

To convert recipes calling for fresh compressed yeast to instant yeast: for 1 packed Tb fresh yeast, use 2 tsp instant yeast

Instant yeast will keep a year at room temperature if unopened. If opened, it will keep 6 months in the refrigerator and 12 months in the freezer. Keep yeast in its original container with the opened flap folded closed in a resealable plastic bag or sealed container.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
another thought -- is it possible that wherever you're leaving the dough to rise is now too hot or cold, or getting a draft? (or ifthis is a bread machine, that it is maybe not working properly?)

Good luck,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't made bread yet--maybe if I have time tomorrow, but if not definitely Sunday. I raise the bread in the oven, so that hasn't changed either ( I chose there, b/c no drafts etc.)

I will do everything step by step this weekend and pay attention to every step--to look for where the problems might be, but as of now, I am discouraged.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just had a couple thoughts strike me.

MTN, I had some dough not rise once because I put it in a metal bowl and I think the bowl got to cool for a good rise. Could that be it? Even if you let it rise in the oven? Dunno.

Also, Keljonma, how do I go about proofing my instant dry yeast? Same way as with the active dry yeast? I'd hate to use the yeast and waste the ingredients if the yeast is bad without my knowing.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just use my yeast just like in the packets, Gettin. I start with warm water, honey, flour...so I guess mine gets proofed right there. The bad yeast I had barely bubbled or frothed.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well :fl I'm making a new batch right now--yeast looks good. I bought gluten flour and added some to it.

Well I'll wait and see..........

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used the "old flour " ( the first flour) the bread did not rise too high, but it doesn't seem as dry as the other loaves.

I'm going to buy new yeast and see if it makes a difference. Although, when I proofed it--it seemed fine. But seriously--its the only thing I can think it would be. One thing this bread is good for is grilled cheese and french toast or regular toast. Not the best for sandwiches. At least its not a total botch--it is still edible.

Latest posts