What's the raw milk deal?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
2dream said:
Oh how I wish I could buy raw cow milk. Its not an option around here. I can by drugs easier and get less of a fine and less jail time.

Just mention raw milk to someone with cows and they turn three shades of purple all while backing away very slowly from you.
Ohio is not a raw milk friendly state either, 2dream. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In Colorado we have the option to do "cow shares". Quite a few places offer it. Unfortunately there was a listeria outbreak from one place not too long ago.

I would settle for pasteurized, non-homogonized if I could find it. I try to avoid ultra-pasteurized, but that is getting harder to do.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Ohio is not a raw milk friendly state either
aint that right...

but i think my neighbors are in love with their 4H project cow... and they might keep her! so they are all... oh hey ohiofarmgirl, if we keep this cow will you milk her in the mornings and we'll keep her over here on our big luxurious pasture, feed her, take care of all of her needs and we'll milk her in the evenings?

and i'm all

HECK YES!!! whooot! bring on the jersey!!!!!!

lovin the raw milk. we are officially dry on the goat milk and we had to buy milk this week. it was very very very sad.

milk to drink, to cook with, make cheese, make yogurt, make buttermilk... sigh.....

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
In Colorado we have the option to do "cow shares". Quite a few places offer it. Unfortunately there was a listeria outbreak from one place not too long ago.

I would settle for pasteurized, non-homogonized if I could find it. I try to avoid ultra-pasteurized, but that is getting harder to do.
I'm hearing of more cow share options around here, but most farmers seem just scared to try it. So I'm thinking my lead on raw cows' milk has fallen through. But I'm planning to talk to another place soon. ;)

I can buy the pasteurized, non-homogenized from Hartzler Dairy out of Wooster. A local store carries it for almost $4 per half gallon. It is good stuff, but pricey.

A neighbor has a new dairy goat that is about ready to kid, then the neighbor plans to milk it. I told her I'd trade her eggs for her extra milk. :D

The safety of raw milk doesn't scare me near as much as things that sneak into processed foods like peanut butter that we have no control or warning about.

ETA: Lucky you, ohiofarmgirl. :thumbsup

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Wifezilla said:

I'm hearing of more cow share options around here, but most farmers seem just scared to try it. So I'm thinking my lead on raw cows' milk has fallen through. But I'm planning to talk to another place soon. ;)

I can buy the pasteurized, non-homogenized from Hartzler Dairy out of Wooster. A local store carries it for almost $4 per half gallon. It is good stuff, but pricey.

A neighbor has a new dairy goat that is about ready to kid, then the neighbor plans to milk it. I told her I'd trade her eggs for her extra milk. :D

The safety of raw milk doesn't scare me near as much as things that sneak into processed foods like peanut butter that we have no control or warning about.

ETA: Lucky you, ohiofarmgirl. :thumbsu
In 2006 a friend and I visited a farm in Holmes County where my friend was thinking of buying cow herd shares. We were there to tour the place and she was hoping to take some milk home with her. Although they built a new milk room - all stainless and ceramic tile - their cleanliness was questionable. The cows were ill-kept and the barn was a disaster. The waste troughs were full to over-flowing. The woman of the couple who owned the place was supposed to show us around, but she had a bad cold. The husband was coughing as well. We saw him working on a truck when we arrived, then later we saw him smoking a cigarette. Without washing his hands from coughing, working on the truck, or smoking, he was the one in the spotless-looking milk room handling the glass jars and the tank spigots. Who knows what else he did before that without washing his hands?! This is how food products become contaminated. ETA: My friend changed her mind about buying herd shares from this particular farm; and she was able to find another source.

Don't get me wrong - I am NOT condemning raw milk. It is this kind of situation we saw that gives the issue a bad name. I would just urge all to use common sense and investigate the place before doing any purchasing.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Don't get me wrong - I am NOT condemning raw milk. It is this kind of situation we saw that gives the issue a bad name. I would just urge all to use common sense and investigate the place before doing any purchasing.
:thumbsup

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right keljonma,

Although I never toured the dairy where my milk comes from two other people that recommended it did. They were very impressed with how happy and clean the cows were etc. Whole milk can take on flavors quite easily and this milk is sweet and nummy, no foul tastes.

If I hadn't had those two folks recommend it, I would have to tour the place myself. (The dairy has tours on the weekends.)

Although the price is high, I love supporting local businesses. I just cut out any other frills during the week to compensate...what is one less 12 pack? :gig Just kidding!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and dont forget BBH - you'll be able to use that raw milk to make cheese!

did you have your class yet???

:)

here is the saddest 'raw milk' thing ever - we had to buy milk and buttermilk this week... our goat is now mostly dry. it made me so mad to pay $2.39 for a QUART of buttermilk. dang.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does raw milk taste different then store bought? I have never had anything but the type of milk that comes from the store.

NC is not a raw milk friendly state either.

Latest posts