What's Your Best and Worst Crop This Year

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to find out what everyone's best and worst garden crop is this year. I would have to say that my best crop is my potatoes, and my worst crop is sweet corn. I don't have a plant of sweet corn growing on the place. What are the coons going to eat? :idunno Might have to plan on a fall crop. I didn't have much luck with my carrots so I did a new planting, and it looks like they are just starting to come up.

How's everyone else doing?

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have only been seriously gardening for about three years now. Last year, we were in a major drought so the garden did OK, but nothing to write home about. However, this year, we are getting lots of rain so our garden is thriving quite well. My tomato plants (which I grew from seed) are amazing, some over six foot tall, with lots of blooms and fruit developing very nicely. I planted four different varieties this year. I am thinking we will probably be covered over with tomatoes pretty soon, although I am having a hard time keeping some of the plants upright because they are so big. Even with cages, we still had to stake them. On the other hand, I have not had any luck with zucchini; I planted some seed, but the plants did not look very healthy so I pulled them up. Then I bought different zucchini seed, but nothing much is happening with the new seed either so I will probably plant something else in that bed, perhaps beans.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We keep getting frosts so we haven't gotten much in.
The peas were up until the rabbits found them.
The lettuce and spinach have been in for a month but only now deciding to do something.
Overall a slow start this year.
Last year I had carrots up, doing good and we got hit by 90's which fried the tiny seedlings. Replanted but they were very small at harvest. So that was a save of sorts.
I'm an eternal optimist and it is all going in this week.
:fl

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Tomatos are doing great so far. Green beans and corn have been a major challenge between the rain, crows and rabbits. English peas would have been wonderful if I had planted them properly. Oh well, first year learning curve. Next years English Pea planting arrangement is already planed. I have planted carrots 4 times and still NO CARROTS and the same with the radishes and leaf lettuce. Last years crops on all three of those were great. :hu

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far my green beans and carrots are in the lead. Zuccs and beets are in next. Some bug is eating the leaves off of my eggplants. My tomatoes are huge but no fruit yet. Should be warming up soon. Things will grow wild.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I've had little luck with my strawberries. Either I forget to water them, some bug or other gets them or the chickens get in. I got a couple of handfulls this year. Thank goodness FIL and my brother both brought us some, which I made into jam today. Our lettuce has so far been a great success as well as snow peas. They were my best crop in many years. Everything else just got planted this week for the most part. We'll see what happens.
Oh yeah, we won't have much of a peach crop this year because of the weather. Many of our trees don't have any fruit at all! But the grapes look great so far.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomatoes, potatoes, beets, lettuce, and carrots, are all thriving. Peas were slow getting started but are doing better now. Strawberries were doing great until the robins discovered them. I covered the the whole patch of about 80 plants with netting, so maybe we'll get some now. For the second year in a row, none of the broccoli came up. :( I don't understand it. Corn was just planted Memorial Day so it hasn't come up yet. Overall - so far so good.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say...my Green beans are doing FANTASTIC! They have been in the ground one week, and are already about 3 inches tall. My onions are looking great...and the potatos are strong. My worst...broccoli..UGH! I planted it...watered it, put straw around it to keep it cool..and IT BLOOMED! DARN IT! Oh weel, might as well pull it up, and give it to the chickens.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far everything is right on track here. Just harvested broccoli. I discovered that I put pole beans in the place I intended to put bush beans, so that'll be interesting. :p
I tend to have trouble with sweet peppers, so this year I bought a few varieties and put in extras with hope that I find one that grows for me. It's too early to tell now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
All this harvesting! I'm only half planted! (hee-hee) We had another frost warning last night! I had a great crop of oregano and some scallions, though, from last year's planting.