WhatUgawkinAt: Journal and the Beginning of an Awakening

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My journey (CAUTION, intense rambling may occur),

So here I am, caught in the vicious cycle of work, earn, sleep and repeat. Day after day I wake up, walk past my window and door and sit...blind eyes and empty thoughts. I was always the sheltered kid, the one and only to be exact. Being born from a generation of rebellion, technology and the "American Dream", my life consisted of the usual. Fun, play, food and a good nights sleep. As the years pass, sitting in front of the center-point of the "dream" home furnishing...the television, tv dinner close at hand. As you can figure, my life was simple yet confined. My family moved from place to place barely able to pay the bills and being a child, the grim reality of how such wonderful conveniences such as television, quick meals and a secluded and safe indoor life could qualify us as being "poor" and "struggling". As the years passed and my father was finally able to progress in the workforce, we moved "up" in society. New home that we actually "owned" rather than rented, property and enough money to supply us with more than enough essentials. Somehow, someway we were still considered lower class, poor and struggling...how? Not to go into economics and statistics, but rather common sense...I realized what exactly was going on for the most part. This awakening was more of a shock with a pinch of horror rather than a glorious enlightenment. It wasn't the money and effort of my parents that put them into their waist deep debt crisis and near bankruptcy state of living, is was the "curse" of what was once thought of as the great American Dream.
As a people, we are at a peak of advancement in technology, science and healthcare...but we are also at a decline in personal development. This realization was stunning, how could such an advanced people become so primitive? In my own opinion, there seems to be a limit...a limit which we are far too comfortable to revert back to. Simply put, greed, marketing, convenience and easy living is a just as much of a dream is it's title implies. Living to work rather than working to live. As a people, from birth we are instilled with a philosophy that life sucks, you find employment and earn your right to live. Nothing wrong with hard work and earning your desires, but we live in a world where dependency on others is not only common, but encouraged. Long story cut short (I love to ramble), as a whole, we have forgotten the basics of life...water, food, shelter, health and enjoyment. All these things have been smothered by greed and the convenience we humans strive for naturally. Our water is full of chemicals, food poisoned and genetically modified, pre-made homes are over priced and unsustainable, modern medicine is out of our control and all these things require more work to afford than we can handle...taking away our independence. We are completely reliant upon others.
Now a quick intro into my conversion and intrigue for sustainable living. As a kid living in urban settlements, small rented apartments and being incredibly sheltered...Life was bland. My first experience in nature was when we moved into a suburban home owned by my grandparents at about 13-14 years of age, I can't remember the acreage, but the small patch of thick woods on the property became my refuge and source of understanding my parents did not supply. I became astounded, awestruck and captivated by it's beauty. I spent every ounce of free time I had climbing up my favorite pine tree and simply observing this "new" world with all senses. The sights, sounds, smells and primitive instincts became my refuge and release. Fast forwarding to 3 years ago...I met a wonderful woman with a drastically different past and life from my own. This woman is now my Fiance' and I credit her with the sole reason for me being on these forums today. As a farm girl, meeting her family on their property was quite the experience...hundreds of acres, countless animals and a small garden. My first full introduction into reality to be honest. I was amazed how this family could earn a meager payment (far less than mine), and live a happy, fulfilling and well off life. Living in WV my entire life, this was the true source of pride and lifestyle this state is known for. Deer meat in the freezer from the past season, fresh picked mushrooms, clear spring water, windows and doors open...coming from a child of pre-cooked, frozen and store bought foods, locked doors with heat/AC on continually and drowning my thirst in Mountain Dew and Coke...this was so confusing yet amazing (sad to believe this lifestyle is so "primitive" now). Since then, me and this angel from the heavens have helped raise deer, chickens and any creature in need, picked fresh wild onions, mushrooms and edible plants..etc. This world was hidden from me for most of my life, and I am glad I have found it.
With this being said, The past several years have been a constant struggle trying to learn the ways of survival, sustainability and simple living with no guidance from family. An independent struggle that becomes more of a passion than an handicap. I'm here on these forums to speak with, learn from and share information with people whose lifestyles will be the "old yet new" means of life for future generations. There's only so much waste and greed left in this world and only so much we can take before we all realize independence and togetherness is all that's needed in life...not having the latest iPhone and largest home. I truly feel part of a growing community who share the same values and realization I have. I hope to learn more from you all here, if you're still reading of course :lol:.

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
A good read! Welcome to the good life! :) Love the screen name also.... :D
Thanks you so much for the support, My mind has been in a cluster for a while with ideas, thoughts and some well needed rambling to get rid of :D You're from the great hills of West Virginia as well eh? How has these storms been treating you down your way?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...currently I'm temporarily residing in the "hills" of WV and the storms have hit us pretty hard. Lots of destruction, loss of power, etc. Where I normally reside, in the mountain region (highest elevation in the state), the storms didn't cause much problem. :)

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That must be the life. I really want to take a trip out to the mountains sometime soon, maybe rent a cabin for the weekend...I'm sure the winters are much harsher than here in the north central part of the state.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It depends. Parts of Tucker, Mineral and Pendleton have a more rugged, higher elevation and have deeper snows, colder temps, higher winds, etc. If you drop off those elevations and into the valleys of the same counties, the temps and conditions are much like the central part of the state except for the humidity levels. Temps are slightly cooler in summer and winter but not by much and the humidity is lower in the summer, which makes for clear, beautiful days.

I've seen all parts of the state and I'd put Pendleton and Grant counties the most beautiful areas, with Tucker coming in a close second. The difference being that the big valleys and many streams in the first two counties makes for better growing conditions for gardens, pastures, fruit trees, etc.

It's definitely, infinitely more beautiful than in the central part of the state, for sure.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Can't wait to read about more of your journey.

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well folks, here's my plan and goals:

Plan:
-Once I get my foot in the door as a Diesel Tech within the next week or so, I will officially be able to start my own journey.
-First things first, a place to live. Obviously, lake front property and a nice home aren't an option for a while now...but since money is the source to start, living as cheaply and efficiently as possible is a must. I'm unsure which to follow, an apartment complex or small trailer to rent. Here in WV, single-wides and double-wides are common and cheap, far more suited to my lifestyle than the small, crowded apartments. The cost however will be higher for the trailer, but having a tiny bit of soil and space outside seems worth the extra cost.
-I intend on building my own home as soon as possible. But first, property needs invested in. Until then, I'm perfectly fine living in small quarters and making use of what's available.
-Once the home building commences, by that time I should have a readily available understanding on how to make a simple yet efficient home. The great benefit of building a home, no set fees or bills...build what you can and when you can, more importantly...building according to schedule and payment.
-Property comes in two flavors for me, open fertile land or dense wooded (not to mention beautiful) land this state is known for. After debating the pros and cons of each...I decided my passion, desire and best interest would be in the woods. Seclusion, vast resources of countless types, beauty..etc. The short list seems to overshadow the true amount of benefits living in the woods has to offer here, vast resources is an understatement. Although anyone can do well for the most part, in urban and suburban properties, having land you can legally roam and make use of is ideal. Streams, springs, creeks, ponds, rivers, lakes, trees, foliage, deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, natural gas, all of this and many many more far outweigh the benefits of just open farmland...and is more peaceful :p

Goal:
-Simply put, I just want a place for me to grow old and my kids to grow up. I never want my kids to deal with the constant moving, friends and connection to the land lost that I endured growing up. I want a secure piece of land in which my kids can learn and be taught the ways of nature and how it supplies us with everything we need if we simply return the favor. A place where we never have to worry about modern man-made ailments that plague us.
-I'm not saying I want to live off the grid and never pay a dime for anything. I simply want to continue working hard for a living and enjoy the wonders of nature and relish in the rare chance at life I've been given. I still want electricity, internet, phones and many gadgets that make life that much more enjoyable...but as I stated in my first post, there's a limit to what technology benefits before it starts to do the opposite.
-Self sufficiency, independence and common sense. I simply want to do everything I personally can do as a human being, with obvious limits. I thirst for knowledge and skills to handle myself and my family when needed. I hunger for the perfect mixture of convenience and hard work.

I cannot wait to start this part of my journey :D

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Welcome. You'll find LOTS of info here. These are smart people!!

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Now onto the sole reason for me being here on Sufficient Self...self sufficiency.

This post will be my list/checklist of self sufficient actions/ideas I want. Anyone with any input will be appreciated and thoughts added to my list accordingly. Here is my to do list:

1. Water: The essence of life and a human right rather than privilege. A renewable/natural recourse for obtaining/purifying water is essential. Having more than one source would be ideal.
2. Food: Having the knowledge and resources to obtain food is a must. Be it fruits, vegetables, plants or meat...due to the inconsistent nature of food sources, multiple resources are key.
3. Shelter: A home is a shelter, but not all shelters are a home. Retaining optimal temperature in both hot and cold weather conditions is a matter of life and death rather than convenience.
4. Money: Although money seems to be the root of all evil (pun intended) in this world, it is still a necessity in today's society. Money is required for land rights...the source of all necessities and life its self.
5. Security: Having all the things you need/want is needed, but keeping up with legal issues as well as simple security measures to keep your work safe is just as essential as the things you're securing.
6. Enjoyment: You don't need money to be happy, but there are some great technologies and gadgets that just make life simpler and easier...without making life more difficult. That's the balance we all should strive for.
7. Self Sufficiency: Independence...living in accordance to laws of the land, common sense, ability and availability...independence from foreign resources is what self sufficiency is all about.
8. Respect: Respect for what's rightfully yours and what isn't is the final most important value to sustainability and self sufficiency. Without it, ability to maintain order, peace and our goals is impossible. Nature is our primary source of life, without respect for its mercy and wrath...we die. Taking care of what takes care of us is my primary goal.

These 8 things are the necessities to sufficient living and the goals I strive to attain. How exactly I go about it is debatable and I look to you all here for one of many sources of guidance. I will be browsing the site and doing my homework. My next post here will be my plan of action to attain the 8 steps mentioned above. As I stated in the beginning, any additional input worthy of this list will be added with great thanks. As for my next post, all input and guidance is welcome. I can't do this on my own :D