When did you stop believing?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
inchworm said:
My 10 year old still believes. I never did the Santa thing, but I do put presents under the tree. She just picked it up from the culture. I wish I knew how to tell her before she embarasses herself. Any suggestions?

Inchy
Ummmm...don't start with the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy??? :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmm...inchy
maybe she kinda knows already.
sometimes we just don't want it to sink in......just ask her what she thinks about Santa.....she might voice up her doubts by now???

other than that, I wouldn't tell her....she will discover it. For me, I say just let it be......but again, that is me.....sometimes we all need to discover things on our own.

hope that helps some

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
There's no Santa? But, but, but. . . :hit

Seriously, he was having a nice dinner at Cracker Barrell last Thursday night. Had the white beard, red cheeks, jolly belly. . . everything.

I accidentally walked in on my mom & dad building my Barbie Dream House when I was about 8.

DS was around 10 when he stopped believing. I told him Santa doesn't bring presents if you don't believe. I think that got me another year.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
One of my best memories is being awakened to go to midnight mass - I never really quite woke up but my Mom dressed us and marched us out to the car at about 11 pm - my father came out a few minutes later.
The big surprise was that when we came back to the house there were packages all over the place- Santa had come while we were at church.
It's obvious now that my parents had the whole thing staged so that in the few minutes between my Mom getting us into the car and my Dad following, he managed to get everything in position.

I don't think my parents ever told me anything about Santa Claus- they didn't need to because it was quite obvious that he was the only one who could have done this wonderful thing.

I never felt lied to- I felt loved and treasured. They had joy in doing it and we were thrilled.

Oh and there were sooty footprints coming from the fireplace too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't remember when I found out but I remember being somewhat disappointed, as the whole Santa story was such a magical, romantic idea for a kid.

I never taught my kids to believe in Santa and, of course, I got the angry phone call from a teacher about Jon telling kids there wasn't a Santa....just like yours, miss thenorth! I gave her the same response. I didn't want my kids to listen to these types of tales, then hear about God and Jesus and think that this too was another "tale" of magic that wasn't true.

We just started our own tradition at Christmas that didn't involve Santa and was just as magical and warm, involving our Nativity scene and the gifts that were brought to the infant Christ. We still feel that feeling of magic on Christmas Eve...all these years later!

ETA: I was told by a co-worker that I deserved to have my kids taken away from me because I didn't "let" them believe in Santa! :p
She was very angry and dressed me down in front of all the people in my office! :rolleyes:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Bee sorry to hear about your co worker. That is so uncalled for.

I think we all have our traditions and the way we do things. Some have gifts on Christmas Eve, some Christmas Morn. Some don't do Christmas at all. To me, no one is right and no one is wrong. Its just so interesting to hear all the stories. Wonder why some people feel so compelled to express their views so hatefully.

I guess it is a form of insecurity. This great need some people have for everyone to be just like them.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I remember slowly realizing and being dissapointed. But I still held onto the belief in the character of Santa. Not character as in cartoon, but his personality, generousity, kindness etc. It's comforting to read and know about other people other than Jesus who led extraordinary lives, even if their life has taken on a more legendary place in history. The problem is my parents, mainly my mom tried to keep it going long after I stopped believing, and that really ruined the the fun and "magic" of it all.It was still magical after I had stopped believing, until she insessantly insisted that he was real, which insulted me on so many levels. At some point I remember being angry at her, but I was more angry at her for trying to turn a pretend thing, into a lie once I had realized he wasn't real, and seemingly only trying to keep it going for her benefit. That was one of the many things they lied to me about, and I don't think it would have bothered me as much as time went on if they hadn't been blatantly dishonest about so many other things.

My son still believes in Santa, and he is 9. We even had a conversation a couple of years ago where he asked me point blank if he is real, and I explained to him that he was a real person, with an amazing amount of kindness and generosity, but that mom and dad and grandma and grandpa are the ones that bring gifts. He still chose to believe. That's his choice, and I will let him believe because it's still his choice. I have confidence that the daily living out of trust building will cushion the news, and that it will speak louder than the not-necessarily-un-inevitable dissapointment that could result.

Someone freaked out on me once in a church home group session about Santa. We were all discussing Santa and whether or not we included Santa in our Christmas beliefs. I had explained that at first we discouraged Santa, but after thinking and praying about it, we decided that it produced so many more good things than negative, and that we wouldn't pimp or Idolize him, but include the fun whimsical things that we grew up loving. She didn't like that at all. She raised her voice and got really emotional, and exclaimed that we were lying to our children and they were never going to trust us. I didn't know what to say to that out loud, but did think that even though her intentions were well meaning, it was rude of her to decide what's best for our family.

My mom (the irony and the beauty of this gesture are not lost on me) gave me a book several years ago called the Autobiography of Santa Clause. It is one of the absolute neatest books I have ever read. It keeps the focus of the book on the true meaning of Christmas, and weaves historical fact of Christ and St. Nickolaus, and awesome fictional imagery to make one of the most intriguing imaginative books I have read since the chronicles of Narnia. I highly recommend it.

The Autobiography of Santa Clause

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK I hope ya'll don't think this is corny, but DH and I had to compromise the Santa thing. I was raised no Santa, and taught early on that it was a fun story that people pretend with. Mom didn't believe in falsifying anything.
DH was raised with Santa.

I didn't want to lie to my kids, I didn't want my kids to think they got gifts based on behavior. Dh and I discussed it and we wanted the kids to know from the start that money is involved.

SO our kids know that Mom and Dad buy the gifts, and they think we buy them from Santa. We tell them every year it depends on the price lists, etc. So that way if we can't afford that new toy they want or they don't get anything they asked for, they know mom and dad couldn't afford it.

Santa delivers the gifts when he is able to, sometimes not until xmas eve, sometimes earlier, depending on his "load" each year. When the gifts arrive, the bill is due in full. lol