When did you stop believing?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A lot of different beliefs & feelings here wow! Just to point out I never said Santa did not exist. I still believe to a certain extent. I mean I know he really was a real live person at one point & time & the memory of him will live on forever. He was a kind & generous man who gave a lot & showed an amazing amount of kindness. So yes he does set a good example for children in that aspect. I also believe that children who gradually realize the "truth" are not traumatized by the whole story at all. Let me tell you what happened to me a few yrs ago:
Money was a little tighter that yr than the yr before so gifts were not going to be as elaborate. Sears Leather Connection sent me a catalog & they had a bomber jacket(soft leather) that was $100 on sale for $50 & a wallet that was only $10 half price also. So I ordered the jacket for ds#1 & the wallet for dh. Well I got a letter a week later that it was all on back order & not coming till after the first of the yr, what to do? I decided to wrap the cut out pics of the items & put them under the tree. We were still at my parents house on Christmas eve about 8pm & my dmil called me to tell me a package had just been delivered by UPS & it was from the leather collection!! I got them after we got home a little bit later. So does Santa exist? Yes he does & that yr he was wearing brown instead of red!
I really think it is what you feel rather than see in this instance. We have & will continue to put the importance of Christmas as Christ's birth & the gifts being representitive of the gifts baby Jesus got after he was born. So Santa is just the icing on the holiday cake so to speak for us anyway. Ds#2 is 9 & he has some doubts & has really been asking a lot of questions this yr so I have a feeling this is his last full belief yr & if we can only keep him form ruining it for his little sis we will be cool or a while. I don't feel I "Lie" to my children about Santa as he was a real person & as the story says "Yes Virgina, there is a Santa & he lives in all of us". Thanks for sharing all the wonderful stories & if there are more lets hear them, as I find it all very interesting.