When do I get to feel smug?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On Our Own

Hope you are feeling better today!!!!!

I know those "down" days when everything that has happened to us piles up on the nerves. Don't think back.....think forward!!!!!

Thinking back makes one feel bad ----if you think in the past think about all the great times!!!!!

You have a home, you are being SS and frugal...those are great traits to have, heck we all have them on the board! LOL

Hang in there. You never know the financial situation of anyone. Someone driving a fancy car might be 1 dollar away from ruin. Or someone else is driving that car and in fine money shape. So it is a crapshoot. Don't put your feellings on "what you might see out there in the world"---it is an illusion.

Just find the good in life!!!!!! Smile and have a great day!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On our own....I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Jeesh, some people! Just remember....it will all come back around one day. Sounds like with hard work, and diligence...you and DH are makeing a dream out of a nightmare. Like FarmerChick said...maybe the neighbors have fancy cars, and gardeners and such...but are they happy?? I mean...TRUELY HAPPY!?
DH and I went without for many many years to be able to afford our small farm.(5acres) Our children always came first to the dinner table...and left full...before we ate. Being military, everyone thought we " had it made" Well..we didnt....but we were happy, and satisfied with life. Now...our children are grown..out makeing thier own choices in life..and even looking down on DH and I a little because we are "poor farmers" It doesnt bother me...I am happy..and DH is happy...and we eat well. We raise most of our own food...fresh fruits, veggies, and meats. Oh, and dont think the kids are not here hands out when harvest time comes. I want so badly to tell them " you dont want this from a dirty farm, you need to go buy yours from the brightly light, warm, music blareing stores" However, I usually load them a basket..and send them on thier way.
I know it seems life is taking free punches at you...but chin up..stand proud for what you HAVE accomplished. When this old world hits rock bottom...you will be better off with your garden and chickens, than the neighbors will be in thier fancy cars..and flowers they cant eat!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
On our own- that statement about the woman wondering why you did your own gardening and living with a sea of McMasions really struck me. One of my nephews had his own business and lost it. He has a McMansion in that kind of a neighborhood and he says the worse thing is that the neighbors introduce him by saying they used to have money!!! Oh well- somethings you just can't fix and other people is one of them. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One family lost the land they had already paid for and their entire life savings. We were able to save the land and the house.

****WOW that builder destroyed some lives but you hung on...how fortunate you had savings etc. You have your home....some don't and some will continue to lose their homes.

Whew......chin up is right! :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I found this thread hard to respond to. We went through something similar and it frosts me to even think about it. Grrrr.
I'll just say it gets better with time and leave it at that.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am so sorry this has happened to you but it sounds like you being frugal helped out.

I'm scared with the economy the way it is that many people will be taken like you were. I was watching the news and some celebrity was talking they wanted to take their money out of the back and stuff it in suitcases.

I garantee you that you are probably happier than any of those McMansion people. Grow your veggies organically and sell them to those snooty people.

This is a great website and these people or extraordinary bright and wise people. I'm not one of those people I'm a student of them.

jackie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the flip side

My contractor putting on my addition now......he told me a story about what the bank did to many builders. They got into financial trouble cause of banks stopping loaning money etc. etc. and resulted in their losing their business which in turn hurt their clients.

So not all builders are truly at fault ya know. Not applying this to these particular builder, but Dave said the builder who got into trouble with bank problems, well, he was so distraught over what happened he thought about suicide and all.......so even if we get nailed, you never know how bad the person having that impact might be taking it also. Losing your business, your income, your livihood, and still owing tons of money, so in bad financial trouble, and then screwing innocent customers also......whew.....if that happened to me I would be heartbroken and beside myself definitely. No one wants to truly hurt anyone most times.....(most people of course..lol)

just rambling out there!!!!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with sylvie.

We've all been fed a bunch of lies when it comes to this stuff. You work hard, you do the right thing. Then BAM! Some deep pockets have screwed stuff up with their greed, and the entire economy goes into a tail-spin because of it.

*nudging soapbox back under the desk out of reach*

Makes me want to hit something.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My soapbox is worn all out!!

The FEd and Bilderbergers and these people trying to tell us we have a free market. What BS! This market isn't free its rigged and is in need of some serious overhaul. Like we need to lose the FED.

Sorry Jenna didn't mean to hop on your soap box!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are so right
everything in this world is rigged and manipulated....certainly the almighty dollar and financial stuff.

:barnie

Latest posts