When do you know it's time to jump ship?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like it's time to crank on an for more money. "look, here's the deal. yall gotta get the money right! I'm starving to death over here"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I knew it was time to move on when:

I found myself crying on the way to work, and on the way home. I'm NOT A CRIER.

I spent too much time running imaginary conversations in my head between myself and my boss or adversarial co-workers.

I dreaded going to work in the morning.

I was always looking over my shoulder, anticipating the next clash between my ethics and boss demands.

I was given a job to do, but not the authority or tools to do it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Its not that I don't like my job, I do. It's not that I don't like my salary either. But I'm starting to question longevity. Over the 25 years with the he company, I've survived so many layoffs, I've lost count. I would have to go back and look at my employment history to see how many managers I've reported too, I know it's at least 20, that I can recall off the top of my head.

I started with the company in a group of hundreds, over the last three years, I am a team of one. I report directly to a senior manager who is mentoring (grooming) me. Although, he hasn't come right out and said it, yet. I believe all this mentoring is to take his position. Because he keeps reminding me that he can retire at anytime and I keep reminding him I am a team of one.

I don't mind giving work direction to multiple teams, which is what I currently do. But I don't want and never have ever wanted to be an HR manager. Over the past 25 years, I've refused management offers at least 10 times that I can remember. My boss keeps reminding me if I want to move up in the company, I need a 'MGR' title. I said that's fine give me a manager title with no reports then. I'm not at all interested in becoming a HR manager.

I don't want to have to buy stock in the Kleenex company, because everyone will come to me with there sob stories and I don't play office politics (period). I get paid to find the bad and and ugly in the company and fix it, I do it no holds bar, I speak my mind freely and openingly. If the baby is ugly, I tell them just how ugly it is and what needs to be done to fix it. Needless to say, I'm not on very many Christmas card lists -:lol

Again I like where I'm at and like what I do. But when boss retires, there's not a single other senior manager in the organization, I would "like"" to report to.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As I suspected... My boss during our weekly mentoring session. Told me, but in a not a so direct way that he is retiring the end of 2Q. He has already recommended me for a portion of his responsibilities. But I told him I don't want it.

He then told me, again but in a not so direct way that some restructuring is going to occur Q3, and basicly he won't be here to protect my position. Dispite being his top proformer and that when he leaves, it's going to be like a feeding frenzy. I already know it's going to be, he is the one that protects all his reports.

So that's all I needed, now I know it's time to jump ship. I do appreciate him, I've worked with him three times in my career with the company. The first time he was a peer of mine. Then as a manager and now an senior manager. We know each other very well, perhaps too well in all honestly. Anyways he said to me directly, that he'll put out the word that I will becoming available soon and he also said that he was sure one of the other managers will nab me. The only problem is I don't want to work for any other managers in my division.

So I think I'll start looking in other divisions or outside the company all together. It's kind of tough though... working for the same company for so long, to just up and leave for another one...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel horrible :( obviously they are not listening. My boss is out on vacation starting today, I'm covering for him. My first action was to put a under preformer in an improvements program. Strange how everything was scripted. All I had to do was read to him from a 5 minute script.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just got my second task... Develop an education program for an area I know nothing about. Lucky I was given the names of a few people who will do the work. This is going to be a fun 2 weeks NOT.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So today I got a very strange call from the boss on my cell phone. Since our cell phones are not company phones, we have a gentleman's agreement that we only call each other's cell phone, if there is an emergency or something critical to the business

Here's how the call went down... I'm still scratching my head.

I answered and said Boss?
He said hey there, how's things going?
I said ok, I haven't changed much on you so it'll be about the same as before you left for vacation.
He said that's great, I heard you doing just fine.
I said Ok well that's good.
Then he said I got a question for you, take a minute and think about it before you answer me
I said ok, deep thoughts.
Then he said who do you know in the organization that can do your job?
Now this threw me for a loop and I laughed out loud and said who can do my job?
He said yes
I said well honestly only one person comes to mind and that's you Boss
Then he said that's exactly what I thought, hold down the fort, we'll talk to you when I get back, bye - click

What the heck was that all about??? it was like a drive-by shooting or something... Any ideas?