When to put on row covers?

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just planted cabbage and broccoli seeds, and cauliflower seedlings. I got some row covers to try to prevent the pests from eating them, but I've never used them before. When do you put them on? Right now on the seedlings? Or do I wait awhile? Please clue me in! Thanks!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you put on the covers when the plants are small and then remove them just before flowering?

I think they are to keep off pests so the plants can get established before being devoured by bugs :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is just what I do, not sure what others might do.
I cover them right when I plant them and keep that cover on at all times! But I do use pvc hoops to keep the netting(or row covers or what every you want to use-Also those metal wire things that have all those political names on them do great to hold netting off plants They look like big croquet wickets!) off the plants so that they grow well-I keep that row cover on till harvest-most of my cole crops do not need pollination the first year for harvest-(you may want to check in a seed saving book to make sure of what you have)
Cabbage doesn't need the cover off to make cabbages. Cabbage usually doesn't bloom till the next year.
Broccoli also does not need the cover off to make heads, unless you want to let it go to seed then you just take the cover off for a few hours every day for awhile and keep an eye out for those naughty cabbage butterflies!
Kohlrabi makes its little balls without the cover being taken off.
most of the leafy cole crops don't need the cover off either unless you are trying to get seed, then same as broccoli.
Brussels sprouts also don't bloom the first year and really do great under netting.
While out shopping or yard sailing(spelling on purpose lol) keep an eye out for sheer curtains and those mosquito nets for beds! I just got a king sized mosquito net for beds at a sale for $1! no holes even!:celebrate Just a stain so they didn't want it any longer. Bright pink so I am thinking soda or wine!

ETA:I forgot Cauliflower! It is pretty much the same as broccoli.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the great info! I'll REALLY be disappointed if the bugs get my veggies. I have hardware cloth arched over my planting area and staked down to also try to keep the squirrels, raccoons, and neighborhood cats from digging in such a nice "litterbox." I hate it when they displace all my plantings. I'll just put the row covers over that and keep my fingers crossed.