When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a rolling beautiful glass ornament and a flying white blur!

:lol: :lol:

yea --really

working on printing tons of soap labels in my computer room and down the hall I hear a sharp roll coming my way down the hallway.

flying by the door is my nice glass ornament from the christmas tree, and Bolt flying after it.

then I hear CRASH.

he broke it.

out came the vacuum

a dog. stealing ornaments. I know cats love to bat them but a dog? He is all over that tree like white on rice :th :th

I tell ya--some days! :)

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a yellow lab (think Marly & Me x 10) who got into and ate EVERYTHING. Got so bad when I called the vet and said "this is ...." they instantly replied "what did Simba eat now"?

Things off a Christmas tree that Simba adored?

Anything glass would be gently taken off the tree and systematically brought over to me and laid at my feet ...

Anything that slightly even remotely (like you touched it with your hands after eating a sandwhich) smelt like food was eaten ...

Anything that was plastic apparently resembled a dog toy ... yep, eaten.

Tinsel ... eaten.

Garland .... eaten.

Lights .... eaten ... although he did leave the red lights intact, just ate all the other colors.

What didn't get eaten was destroyed by the killer tail from halfway down the tree ....

Got a fresh tree one year, hoping that the prickliness of the tree would deter him ... BAD idea ... he ate not only the ornaments, but the lower limbs were apparently edible to him too ...

Our tree never stood for more than 10 minutes after we left the room until we began tying it up with fishing line to the ceiling.

Our lesson when Simba was alive ... a 4' Christmas tree that was on top of the TV ... gotta love the animals you treat like your own and the things you do to accomodate them :th

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This has happened to me. We go to the dollar store or craft store and buy the sparkly pipe cleaners they use in crafts. We cut them and use those to tie the lights in place and all ornaments on the tree. I also put a small bell on each branch that way I can hear if a kid or pet is touching the tree.

Hope that helps you out some.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: That is just crazy!

I haven't used tinsel for oh, 100 years. We had a cat that would eat it. It was so weird the first time I saw it in the litterbox. Kind of like poop pearls strung on tinsel. Same cat would end up stripping the bottom two feet of everything. He was worse than the kids!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We were told when we adopted our cats from the shelter that tinsel was a total no-no because it can get stuck in pets' intestines.

We double loop our ornaments onto the tree with the ribbon loops that we've tied onto all of them. Not sure how to explain, we put the loop over the branch, then double it over and tug down a bit to tighten.

Totally cat-proof! (and we have one very wiley cat)

(knocks on wood)