Where are all the lids???

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can anyone find where all the canning lids regular or wide mouth has gone??? I have looked everywhere and not even the warehouses have any so are you finding any in your area?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stocked up when Corona first started making head lines, cause I knew this was gonna happen. I've also been re-using my lids for years, and recycle any appropriate sized jars with good lids from the grocer. I use these for HWB canning, saving the new lids for pressure canning. I have many lids that I've re-used 4 times, and they still seal just as good as new.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought lids in bulk from Lehman's earlier this year.
I've also bought extra jars, and extra seeds. I've been buying extra of our favorite OTC'S and herbal supplements as I can afford them. I nearly wet my pants when I found Rubbing Alcohol at the drug store this morning, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
check the dollar general store. lots of regular kids and jars

CR: I would think it would be counterproductive to buy up the regular kids. Takes them so very long to grow out to useful size, and they will rapidly deplete your pantry.

I would like to ask LG about reusing lids, I was always taught do not reuse lids and now I am mourning all the lids I threw away,

Bambi. Yeah, there are so many of the "they say" statements that must be tested to verify usefulness. Consider this: If a jar seals, then the contents are safe. If you remove a lid, and the white "paint" is intact, not stained, the rubber ring is likewise in "like new" shape, and there are no dents on the top, and you roll out any indent on the rim: I just place the lid on the counter, and roll it where the can opener might have raised a bit of a dent. This restores the profile of the lid to "like new". All my lids are carefully inspected, washed with a soft soapy cloth, rim restored, and carefully saved for next use. I never tip a jar upside down when I remove it from the canner. I don't know where that idea came from: tipping a jar upside down after canning!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been running the dehydrator, the canner, AND the freeze dryer. My garden is doing fairly well, plus I've been attending both the Produce Connection and the Farmers to Families weekly- getting pounds and pounds of misc veggies and fruits from them. The best part is that, for every pound of produce they give away in these programs, the farmers get paid... so it's a win-win. Rice and beans is spottily available; I pick up some when I see it. We've been trying to also stock up extra grains for making chicken feed, and extra bags of dog food too.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I expect that we'll be seeing some of those canning supplies re-enter the market, perhaps on CL or similar sites when folks actually realize that there is work involved. It takes a lot of hard work to produce a crop. And, lots more hard work to preserve that crop.
But being is farmer easy.:hide Bloomberg says all you need to do is put seed in the ground and it grows, right?😳 I mean, a rich guy who probably doesnt know jack about farming should know. 👨‍🌾
Im hoping that with canning supplies being hard to find, just the opposite will happen, that people will start being more self sufficient and stop relying so much on being able to go to the store and just pick it up. We have become to complacent and dependent on others for our needs.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plenty of tomatoes on the vines, but they are all green. Those that are ripe are rotting on the bottom. Not sure if I will get anymore off them this year. Pulled up the squash and cucumber plants. Got a bunch of pickling cucumbers, but not many burpless ones. Planted some cabbage but either a few died or the rabbits got them because there is only a few left. Pumpkins are doing well.