Where did I go wrong?

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's pretty sweet! And no slicing, its pretty sugary/stiff. It almost doesn't separate, it sorta strings but thick strings that break, almost like candy that's not finished. It should be smoother, I think and more jelly/gelatin like (I guess?) I haven't had marmalade in a long time.

ETA- I did make cranberry sauce at Christmas out of dried cranberries, sugar and water. It was delicious!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
It's pretty sweet! And no slicing, its pretty sugary/stiff. It almost doesn't separate, it sorta strings but thick strings that break, almost like candy that's not finished. It should be smoother, I think and more jelly/gelatin like (I guess?) I haven't had marmalade in a long time.
You might be able to save it by recooking with a little more water and resealing. It's worth a shot. I have had to recook grape jelly before a couple times, and it works like a charm. I hate wasting lids, but it saves the food for the intended purpose.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could try that. I think I'll try that with half of it, and see how it goes. I'll post the results.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
dma1974 said:
You might be able to save it by recooking with a little more water and resealing. It's worth a shot. I have had to recook grape jelly before a couple times, and it works like a charm. I hate wasting lids, but it saves the food for the intended purpose.
Heck the store bought is too thick for my taste. i just poke holes in it add some water and set it in a pan of hot water when I can stir it while hot I take it out and use as refrig, Jam. If your batch canned ok but stiff why risk the batch? Just treat one jar at a time about a day before you waant to use it? you waste no lids that way. think cheap!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back in the day, jams were not so firm. As long as it doesnt leak through the bread, Id call it a success.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Back in the day, jams were not so firm. As long as it doesnt leak through the bread, Id call it a success.
No chance of that :) So, it's a success then?!

Other components of this being a success:

*I didn't melt my skin off with boiling sugar
*I didn't burn myself, steam or otherwise
*Nothing exploded or broke
*All of the above accomplished while being helped by a three-year old
*said three-year old was not injured or burned
*Whatever it came to be, it still tastes good and I'm eatin' it

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, that's a good def of success! :lol:

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yeah, don't throw it out. Our first batch of peach jam came out hard as a rock! I have to take it and put the jar in a sink of hot water to even loosten in up enough to pry any out of the jar. Then I put it in a sauce pan and heat it up to go over vanilla ice cream. Yum!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Used my "rock" zucchini marmalade to glaze a ham and for sweet and sour sauce.